Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifi ?

Options
  • 12-02-2006 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Ive just bought a laptop (sony fj1z)

its wi fi enabled centrino, wlan 802.11b/g

just wondering when im in a wifi zone can i connect directly to the internet or do i need a pc card of some description?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

No, you have all you need there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Hang a sec' - did you buy new or second-hand? When buying a WiFi lappie second-hand, always check that the seller hasn't removed the miniPCI card (friend of mine has had fingers burnt before ;) ).

Otherwise, you should be all set.

The miniPCI is usually underneath the lappie in a small lodgment with a cover held by a screw or soemsuch, and a couple of wires (from the antenna) clipped to it.

You'll only be able to connect if a WiFi network is unsecured or free access (or it's your own, of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭judomick

bought it new.....thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

I have wifi but I haven't used it yet. I've seen it advertised in MacDonalds but there is no mention of what it costs, how does wifi work in hotels pubs and restaurants?

I saw it advertised in Shannon Airport as being free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

have a look thru this link .... free sites are indicated in red ...

http://www.jiwire.com/browse-hotspot-ireland-ie.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭bedrock1001

a little off topic but im just wondering about the new dells that come with a wireless card inbuilt

Does these laptops have bluetooth? I can't seem to find any info on the dell site

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

I use to use it a while back,try and get into there mcCafe joints as you can get half hour of access with a €1 coffee.
    connections are usually about 500-700k
    Great for updating windows and virus definitions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

a little off topic but im just wondering about the new dells that come with a wireless card inbuilt

Does these laptops have bluetooth? I can't seem to find any info on the dell site

Thanks in advance

my brothers laptop (inspirion 9400 which was bought before christmas) has bluetooth if that's any help to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

Thanks in advance

I bought a DELL recently, about 4 months back and I had to add on the bluetooth as extra, I can't remember how much it cost but it was less than €50 and could have been only €20.

Advertisement