Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Americans post on boards

Options
  • 12-02-2006 6:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Any regular posters from the states on boards.ie. Im moving there myself in 3 weeks and to be honest im a bit aprehensive and excited at the same time. Moving to the MA,NH region.

What to expect when im over there?

Will i get homesick?

Does it take long to settle in over there?

How americans preceive the irish?

Will it disadvantage me been irish when looking for a job?

Just a few things im worried about in the whole moving process.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Gaillimhtaibhse

Overseas in the States for past couple of months. With a theatre company. Found most Americans to be friendly.

Stay pretty busy, so don't get homesick too often (but it does happen). Didn't really visit these boards much until after I left. Now I stay in touch.

You need a green card to work here. Not sure about job availability (for whatever your qualifications are). Being Irish should not be a problem.

My agent placed me, and helped with the overseas arrangements, so I did not have to look for work. Came here with an offer.

Oh, when you go through immigration, don't joke about the security precautions that they now implement. Just be friendly and cooperative. I think that the officials and screeners leave their sense of humour at home before coming to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Overseas in the States for past couple of months. With a theatre company. Found most Americans to be friendly.

Oh, when you go through immigration, don't joke about the security precautions that they now implement. Just be friendly and cooperative. I think that the officials and screeners leave their sense of humour at home before coming to work.

Two very good points, dont even think of making a typical funny comeback just get it over with :)

Home sick is def on the cards but you'll get over it, its a great place to live for awhile, Where are you going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

galwaydude, as you know ive been in Illinois nearly a year now and im just getting over it :) that doesnt mean it'll take you that long, im just stubborn to change.there will be times that you just want to get the next flight back to Ireland but when you get used to life in the states, you will enjoy it. keep in touch mate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What to expect when im over there?
    The yanks are usually a friendly bunch and very welcoming, specially to irish people. You'll get a lot of "Let's go for a drink, Irish"

Will i get homesick?
    Everyone gets homesick. Keep busy and make friends. Note that the US may seem like a biiiig place, but once you get to know people...

Does it take long to settle in over there?
    I've never been long enough for that but friends have been over for 6 months or more and got homey enough.

How americans preceive the irish?
    Generally very good!

Will it disadvantage me been irish when looking for a job?
    My friends all worked menial jobs, cafs, construction etc. Easy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

*laughs*
    Not all americans are Yanks...We refer to those tht live in the northern half of the US YANKS..and the southern half....well....I'm from the south...I call my self a southern gal...But they call us rednecks I'm sure!
    *laughing*
    We are friendly in general...but some might not understand your country...please try to avoid getting angry about that....And...THE GIRLS WILL LOVE YOUR ACCENT!
    *laughs*
    Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Northener are Yanks or doddles
    and Southrener are Dixies.

*runs and tackles Thaed with huggles*

HELLLLLLO!!!!

Correct....dixie's *winks at thaed*
    Me on the other hand....I'm a Southern Belle!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Alejandro

I'm from the west coast of the US. I don't know what people call us (or don't want to know). San Francisco has a reputation. Hippies, Gays and radicals I suspect. Irish are well liked here. They are perceived as fun loving and independent. Both highly regarded here.

Leave for Dublin on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

finally here and getting used to life in the states, miss ireland alot though

• Advertisement

Glad you got there safe mate, keep busy and you will think less of home. Make sure you get a calling card and keep in touch with family at home. Best of luck :)

I'm from the west coast of the US. I don't know what people call us (or don't want to know). San Francisco has a reputation. Hippies, Gays and radicals I suspect. Irish are well liked here. They are perceived as fun loving and independent. Both highly regarded here.

Leave for Dublin on Sunday

The irish are loved by southern girls....I'll tell ya that.....*winks at a few here*
    I do love the accent!
    *GROWLS*

Have loads of fun Alejandro.....I'm sure someone here can give ye some pointers on where to go and what to see....
    You should ask and start a new thread!

And RUU......Calling cards are the way to go....*nods*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

Hey, if anyone ever finds themselves in the MidWest, give me a ring! I'll be glad to oshow you around!

Li'l Irish wrote:
    Hey, if anyone ever finds themselves in the MidWest, give me a ring! I'll be glad to oshow you around!

Where in the midwest are you? I moved to IL with my wife last year, shes from here :)

Advertisement