Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop problem

Options
  • 11-02-2006 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

hey all. have a problem with a dell latitude laptop and was wonderin if anyone could help?

basically upon startup after the windows loading screen a bsod comes up sayin "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" now im pretty sure this is a software thing cos this problem was fixed before by a "technician" and nothing was opened. i refuse to send it back to him cos he says ad aware,spybot s+d,everest and zone alarm are crap and cause system crashes yet says morpheus is a ok!:rolleyes:

i have tried the recovery console on the xp disk,dell diag tools say the hdd is there yet when in recovery console it says the drive isnt even though the c:\ prompt is there.

i also tried the ultimate boot cd but it wont bloody boot the cd!!

any ideas?help greatly appreciated!

cheers, oblian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Does it boot up in safe mode?
    Before the start up of windows press F8 and select safemode.
    If it does then if your using winxp go to run and type msconfig and disable all the iteams under the startup tab. Then see if it will booth up in normal mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 oblian

ARGINITE wrote:
    Does it boot up in safe mode?
    Before the start up of windows press F8 and select safemode.
    If it does then if your using winxp go to run and type msconfig and disable all the iteams under the startup tab. Then see if it will booth up in normal mode.

when i try go to safe mode it stops at the mup driver and goes back to the blue screen with the volume message

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

try the repair roption in the windows setup.

tried that too but it keeps sayin the drive aint there even though the c:\ prompt is there!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Its seems like a job for format and reload!
    Sorry it seems like the only way around.

yeah i was thinkin that but hopin it was a last option

thanks lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Theres progs u can download, that will repair win xp registry and mbr master boot record loading ,master ,do google search to find em ,do google search ,repair winxp registry ,cos windows makes at least 2 backup files of registry,called user.bak, system.bak, if u can get in thru dos ,or set c:\ up as a slave ,drive d:\ u may be rename reg backup files and rebuild the registry maybe, look at ARTICLE NO Q138159, at support/microsoft.com that tells u how to rebuild registry from default backups in windows/repair/system32 etc.Make sure drive c:\ jumper is set to master.Before u do anthing else.IF U set up c: ,as d:\ slave at least u may be able backup to drive 0, any data u need like emails, pictures,etc that are outside the main windows folders.

Advertisement