Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what does a bass compressor pedal do?

• 11-02-2006 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Thats pretty much what i want to know...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

A compressor basically tries to even out the volume coming out of your bass by squeezing the level once it passes a certain point, called the threshold. If you find some notes are louder than others you can set any signal which goes beyond the threshold you set to be squashed at a ratio set by you.

Ratio means, say a 2:1 ratio would be gentle compression. For every note that goes over your threshold, if it went over by 2db it would squash the note so only 1db more is heard. If you went 4db over your threshold you'd hear only 2db over your threshold. If your ratio is, say, 4:1, if you went 4db over your threshold you'd only actually hear an extra 1db. The effect is to even out the peaks in your playing, so it sounds more level.

Downsides are that two much compression sounds chronic and can take some of the natural changes in level out of your playing. Personally, I think it's a good thing to work on your technique to even out your playing though when used appropriately a smidge of compression can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

It's especially important for loud live music, where you may have 16 different mics picking up wildly varying volumes and 3-5 players playing with different ideas about dynamics.
    Usually, though, there is a compressor unit attached to the mixing board that can compress the whole band at once (and even separate instruments through the effects bus, I believe). If your band has a real PA with effects, or you play at places with a real PA, this might not be a crucial item to have.... you probably wouldn't need it for home practice or garage-type band playing, but it might come in handy for doing some recording (although most computer effects packages probably have some kind of compression built-in).
    I would also say that it's probably less important for a bass player to have a stand-alone unit live, as many times the bass is DI'd to the mixing rack and compressed there.
    Edit: Most new amps these days seem to be including some sort of 'limiting' on the output (the top end of a compressor's job), making the compressor pedal possibly even less necessary.

There's a danger in too much compression, too....in the little tune in my sig, I over-compressed the first bass part with a multi-effects pedal and you can't really hear that I'm popping the last few notes of each phrase....a little too laid-back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

ya theyre pretty handy i have one but i dont play bass anymore so if youre interested in buying it let me know....

its the digitech x series bass compressor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

they're filthy things that suck all the life out of the performance. compression works well when recording. that's about it.
    bye yourself a big muff. money better spent. and don't give me that 'but i don't need a big muff' malarky!!
    Everyone needs one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 notmeagain

got a big muff already, love it. Any other pedals that people would reccomend for bass?

• Advertisement

notmeagain wrote:
    got a big muff already, love it. Any other pedals that people would reccomend for bass?
    a digitech x series bass compressor pedal?:v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

notmeagain wrote:

A Boss ME50B or a PODxtLive bass. Enough toys to play around with for a century or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 guitarmano

hi all....what the hell does bump mean?..im new to boards.ie/

lol very bass compressor related indeed :p

you say it when you want your thread to go back to the top of the list of threads so that people will see it... btw keep it After hours for these kinda questions..

also the urban dictionary should help you out alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 guitarmano

cheers..i feel i can now join the ranks of great forum posters :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement