Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a changing country

Options
  • 10-02-2006 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

It's amazing how Ireland has changed in the last few years. I'm from Drogheda and I was surprised when the leisure centre Mosney was converted into an accomodation centre for asylum seekers. Anyone from the local area have views on this? I'm submitting an article for the local newspaper. Please leave name and where your from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Buttermilk

Hey there,
    I have noticed myself Ireland is changing and think this is a good discussion. In my local town, it use to be a country town and you would know everyone but now its getting really build up and you wouldnt know anyone! Dublin to me is turning into New York. Im not racist but its sad seeing Moore Street a real typical old Dublin street turning into a Chinatown. I know things change but I don't want Ireland to lose its Irishness and idendity. I feel, eversince we joined the EU we have sold some of our indendity. I also think that Ireland is losing its values. People don't go to mass anymore and respect is going out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Yes indeed Ireland has been destroyed by Mary Harney and her Capitalist agenda. Living in Kerry the effects has much less than else where, But now living in a house valued at over €425,000 that was built for £12,000 punts it make absolutely no sense and I am beginning to wonder what will the future hold. Young people are being forced to compete for wages with Immigrants while more are Emigrating out of this hell hole. It is simply no wonder that this country has such a high rate of Suicide as a result of the no-hoper society that has been created. I recently myself was going to get a job however the insurance for the Car alone would be over €5,000 like what sort of a country are we living in. I will instead now drain the dole and punish this government for not having a Nationalised Insurance service. My main aim is to get the hell out of here as quickly as possible don't I just go insane. The EU was the biggest mistake this country ever made along with the Euro and allowing in Immigrants. Our Country is been overran by foreigners and we are doing nothing about it only welcoming them :mad: It will soon be the case if we publish a cartoon that Dublin would be sacked. Come on people we really need to sack this government and create a more humane future for ourselves. It is our Children that will suffer if we don't. My little Village now has more Non-Nationals than Irish living in it and loads more housing is planned without even the most basic services like a sewer system or Broadband in place.

We have destroyed our identity and are the laughing stock of europe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

netwhizkid wrote:

please describe irish identity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

netwhizkid wrote:
    Young people are being forced to compete for wages with Immigrants while more are Emigrating out of this hell hole. It is simply no wonder that this country has such a high rate of Suicide as a result of the no-hoper society that has been created. I recently myself was going to get a job however the insurance for the Car alone would be over €5,000 like what sort of a country are we living in. I will instead now drain the dole and punish this government for not having a Nationalised Insurance service. My main aim is to get the hell out of here as quickly as possible don't I just go insane. The EU was the biggest mistake this country ever made along with the Euro and allowing in Immigrants. Our Country is been overran by foreigners and we are doing nothing about it only welcoming them :mad:

Pure 100 rant. ie nonsense. This county has always had a high sucide rate, its in the Irish gene pool it seems (maudlin+drink), Emigration was the norm for generations, yes it still happens but not like the 'good old days'. As for insurance its sounds like you needs to ring around. Joining the EU saved this countires ass, it was going down the tubes thanks to narrow minded, parochical, protectionist mentalites.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

i love what moore street is turning into its a crazy mix of irish,african, east-european and chinese people yet it still has the exact same spirit that its always had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

netwhizkid wrote:
    Yes indeed Ireland has been destroyed by Mary Harney and her Capitalist agenda. Living in Kerry the effects has much less than else where, But now living in a house valued at over €425,000 that was built for £12,000 punts it make absolutely no sense and I am beginning to wonder what will the future hold. Young people are being forced to compete for wages with Immigrants while more are Emigrating out of this hell hole. It is simply no wonder that this country has such a high rate of Suicide as a result of the no-hoper society that has been created. I recently myself was going to get a job however the insurance for the Car alone would be over €5,000 like what sort of a country are we living in. I will instead now drain the dole and punish this government for not having a Nationalised Insurance service. My main aim is to get the hell out of here as quickly as possible don't I just go insane. The EU was the biggest mistake this country ever made along with the Euro and allowing in Immigrants. Our Country is been overran by foreigners and we are doing nothing about it only welcoming them :mad: It will soon be the case if we publish a cartoon that Dublin would be sacked. Come on people we really need to sack this government and create a more humane future for ourselves. It is our Children that will suffer if we don't. My little Village now has more Non-Nationals than Irish living in it and loads more housing is planned without even the most basic services like a sewer system or Broadband in place.

On the basis of that rant I can only say that I wish you luck in your efforts at getting the hell out of here as quickly as possible.

county wrote:
    please describe irish identity?

I've been having problems with this one for a while now. I can't actually find all that much about Ireland that distinguishes us as being different to England. I used to be able to, but I find I can't find all that much "irishness" about Ireland anymore.
    It's amazing how Ireland has changed in the last few years.

I agree. Its been an amazing change. Some for the better and some for the worse. By joining Europe Ireland has improved itself a hundred times. We've started to become a real nation, rather than a wannabe one. Unemployment being so low etc.

However I can't work up any joy at living here. I can't find a reason why I would live in Ireland over that of another country. The cost of living is simply huge. The levels of taxation & the amount of overpricing by companies takes away any real satisfaction of earning money in Ireland.

I bought a townhouse 6 months ago for 260,000 euro. Its taken me a while to get the capital so I could get a decent mortgage. So I was sorted. In came craftsmen who charged an arm and a leg for less than reasonable work. Then I get hit for an estate management fee of roughly 400 euro, which I'm obliged by law to pay, and I still have not gained anything from it (nothing has been done to the estate since it was built). Then I find out that four of the houses in the estate are owned by the council who will use them for discount housing. Which was a bit of a blow...

The thing is, that I'm not so sure these changes are for the best. Ireland is a rip off. Secondly I've noticed Irish people losing their friendliness. No longer are we a friendly country. It seems like every second or third person is an asshole, or even scum.

This IS a bit of a rant, but its still true. And before its asked why don't I leave? I will be. Simply because I can't see Ireland as being the country I grew up in anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

No luck in Humanties forum?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054887780

Very apt with the sockpuppet buttermilk. :v:

As for a serious response. The making of Mosney had less to do finding a place for Asylum seekers and more to do with the fact that airfare is cheaper.

For examle as a kid, routinely went on holidays to Mosney, blackpool, bognor regis, etc.

However now the places don't offer all that much for the price compared to flying to say Spain, France, etc.

It has nothing to do with Irish identity. I don't know how Mosney could be classed as Irish identity as it was a British owned company (Butlins).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

netwhizkid wrote:

The benefits we have gotten from joining Europe far outweigh any of the perceived negatives. You seem to think that we were a prospering nation a few decades ago, but now we're not? In my opinion, we have never had things better.

What is your exact problem with immigrants by the way? A huge amount of them, if not the vast majority, are over here to earn an honest wage - just as we Irish were in the US and London decades ago.

I take your point about poor planning WRT to new towns / suburbs- this has been a problem in Ireland, but if it's the worst one we have we are not doing too badly. I don't know if I would classify Broadband as a "basic service" though.

Insurance certainly is expensive over here, but it has been worse. If you check the motors board, there are plenty of people in their early 20's (and even late teens IIRC) getting quotes of under €2K - sounds like you should ring around, unless you have some driving history you are not telling us - I hope I read this wrong, but are you seriously going to scrounge off the dole just because of this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Yes ireland has Changed, alot, in the last 10 years i have seen some massive changes.

Where the price of a night out on the razz with friends has gone from 40 - 50 punt to over 100 Eurons.

Where the price of houses have more than trippled.

Where getting a job in the IT market is like finding Hen's teeth ( or was at last for a good 5 years ).

I myself took the easiest option , i emigrated to the UK .
    I still find it shocking sometimes to see the massive price difference in many things.

As for the National idenity changing , well the same sort of thing happend 30 odd years ago in england , and is still happening today . Yeah it can be hard, but i can honestly say I'm happy with who i am , where i'm from , but i also am happy with where i live and what country.

I won't be moving back to ireland ( well i'm not planning on it at any rate) as the current cost of living is just way to high.

I've lived in a few different countries so i've been "the feckin Forgiener" , so i have seen both sides to the problems and the soloutions.

But the biggest change for me ( this sort of relates to the Irish not being as friendly as before) is going out on a night out , having a laugh and heading home pissed as a fart . Now days it's more a case of , heading out , having a laugh in the pub , watching 2 or 3 fights on the way to the taxi , 2 or 3 more fights in the taxi rank , and sobering up while waiting for a taxi ( well i havn't bothered waiting for a taxi in years, i just start walking home and pick one up coming into town ).

All this is starting to make me feel like a old man :(:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

mike65 wrote:
    Pure 100 rant. ie nonsense. This county has always had a high sucide rate, its in the Irish gene pool it seems (maudlin+drink), Emigration was the norm for generations, yes it still happens but not like the 'good old days'. As for insurance its sounds like you needs to ring around. Joining the EU saved this countires ass, it was going down the tubes thanks to narrow minded, parochical, protectionist mentalites.

Mike.

ireland has always had a high suicide rate? never really heard that before, I wouldn't blame it all on mary harney! but social exclusion and poverty gap are increasing!

ireland has always had a high suicide rate? never really heard that before,

I did. In school. Has always had a high rate. Better breakdown here..

http://www.samaritans.org/know/informationsheets/youngpeople/young_people_and_suicide_sheet.shtm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Remember until recently suicide did'nt exist offically as it was (still is I guess) a mortal sin and the government would publish figures.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Buttermilk

Yes Irish values are gong out the door. The majority of Irish people are materialistic! look at the Hill of Tara, the govenment wants to build a motorway through it. A valley filled with great Irish history and heritage, no other country would allow that. We are selling out sacred places like Newgrange out to tourism. Also I was shocked when I heard yesterday, that Butterley wants to re-open Stardust on the very same night the diaster happened. Im glad there are protesters trying to stop him! If the nightclub went ahead, that really shows that we have no morals!!

Buttermilk wrote:
    ook at the Hill of Tara, the govenment wants to build a motorway through it. A valley filled with great Irish history and heritage, no other country would allow that.

Yea I was even disgusted the last time when the druids built thier stuff on the hill, upsetting the local Irish heritage.
    We are selling out sacred places like Newgrange out to tourism.

Erm newgrange has been open to the public since the 17th century. The recent center built helps protect it.
    Also I was shocked when I heard yesterday, that Butterley wants to re-open Stardust on the very same night the diaster happened.

Thats really another issue tbh and I don't know of any local in Coolock that wants to be remembered as Irish based on that incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I can't actually find all that much about Ireland that distinguishes us as being different to England. I used to be able to, but I find I can't find all that much "irishness" about Ireland anymore.
    There never was all that much that distinguished us as being different to England, in fairness. Most of the difference was largely superficial, bilingual signs and green post-boxes, slightly different retail outlets and police uniforms. The main difference was that we were poorer as a nation.

The reality is that Ireland is and has long been an Anglophone nation. Globalisation has made the differences even smaller, but they were never that great to begin with.
    Buttermilk wrote:
    Yes Irish values are gong out the door. The majority of Irish people are materialistic!
    I certainly do not miss the priest-ridden and poverty stricken Ireland I grew up in of the 70’s and 80’s. That’s not to say that there was no good in it. We were less materialistic and there was a far smaller gap between rich and poor - unfortunately this is because we were all relatively poor.

So, TBH, I’m shedding a few tears - but not many - for the passing of that Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭RobEire

Having driven across the island of Ireland this weekend I can say that is is very saddening to see how developers have ruined the character of smaller towns across the country. New housing estates have been built with no apparent regard for the vernacular architecture or understanding of rural settlement patterns - the end result being houses that look very out of place against the backdrop of the Irish countryside.

Another thing to note is the development of large and spectacularly ugly houses on the N28 between Galway and Headford. These are, I assume, the homes of wealthier landowners/businessmen that have been build in a pseudo-classical style, again, totally at odds with the landscape around them.

The changes that have happened in Ireland are a mixed back of good and bad. When looking at architecture outside of the large urban centres though, it seems to be almost entirely bad. Such a pity that a golden opportunity to develop, or further evolve, a distinctive style of Irish vernacular architecture was squandered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

netwhizkid wrote:
    Yes indeed Ireland has been destroyed by Mary Harney and her Capitalist agenda. Living in Kerry the effects has much less than else where, But now living in a house valued at over €425,000 that was built for £12,000 punts it make absolutely no sense and I am beginning to wonder what will the future hold. Young people are being forced to compete for wages with Immigrants while more are Emigrating out of this hell hole.

Wrong. Emmigration is steadily decreasing.
    It is simply no wonder that this country has such a high rate of Suicide as a result of the no-hoper society that has been created.

There is no evidence that immigrants cause any increase in the suicide rate.
    I recently myself was going to get a job however the insurance for the Car alone would be over €5,000 like what sort of a country are we living in.

Could you get a job without a car? I don't have a car. And I wouldn't have to pay 5 grand for insurance. Maybe it's because I've got a full license and am 31.
    I will instead now drain the dole and punish this government for not having a Nationalised Insurance service.

*cut to the Mary Harney batcave*

OMG NETWHIZKID IS PUNISHING US!!11! QUICK! IMPLEMENT RADICAL CHANGE!

The only people that would be punished would be the rest of the taxpaying population.
    My main aim is to get the hell out of here as quickly as possible don't I just go insane.

You want to become an immigrant? Fair enough.
    The EU was the biggest mistake this country ever made along with the Euro and allowing in Immigrants.

I disagree. In fact I think that those are the very reasons this country is no longer the poor man of europe. Investment in infrastructure + cheap labour + linked currency = good.
    Our Country is been overran by foreigners and we are doing nothing about it only welcoming them :mad:

I think it's great. I've worked my whole life with people from all over the world. Where I work now there are Chinese, Polish, Philipino, Russian, German, English and Irish people. And we all get along just fine.
    It will soon be the case if we publish a cartoon that Dublin would be sacked.

Sacked? As in sacked and burned? I hardly think a cartoon would cause that. Maybe if was a thousand years ago and the Vikings had developed an intense dislike for pictorial humour. Even then I still have my doubts.
    Come on people we really need to sack this government and create a more humane future for ourselves.

Humane eh? As in humanity? As in looking after our fellow man?
    It is our Children that will suffer if we don't. My little Village now has more Non-Nationals than Irish living in it and loads more housing is planned without even the most basic services like a sewer system or Broadband in place.

Is that the non-nationals fault or the fault of the planners? I don't know of which village you speak but usually planning permission can only be given if there is a sewer system and other essential facilities are in place.

Also this completely contradicts your earlier whinge that house prices are too high. If more houses are built then house prices will go down. It's a little thing called supply and demand.

I disagree. I think we used to be the laughing stock of europe and we are now at last taking our place as a proud strong nation. I remember the old Ireland, I grew up in it. I was lucky though that by the time I reached adulthood the economy was pulling out of yet another recession and jobs were available.

What you're actually doing is blaming all your personal problems on somebody else. The goverment, the eu, the foriegners. Anybody but yourself. That's the old Irish way of thinking. It's not our fault, it's the state the English left the country in, it's the recession, it's the fact we've few natural resources... blah blah blah..

Screw the old Ireland. Who wants to go back to famines and potato farming? I'd rather take the new multicultural, modern Ireland. Sure it's not perfect and the government seems to go to extraordinary efforts to keep it imperfect but by god we've never had it so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

RobEire wrote:

Another thing to note is the development of large and spectacularly ugly houses on the N28 between Galway and Headford. These are, I assume, the homes of wealthier landowners/businessmen that have been build in a pseudo-classical style, again, totally at odds with the landscape around them.

^^^

Ha! Ya gotta love the tackiness though! You could go overboard with "preserving the landscape" too - people have to live somewhere.

Actually, I can't believe I'm about to praise the Sindo but... they had a funny article in their magazine last Sunday about how newly-wealthy Irish people think they're like sophisticated Californians but are in reality closer to the Texan state of mind. I thought it was quite apt - we're a nation of JR's and Sue Ellens apparently!

Ireland has always been changing. Try reading some history books and don't just assume it was some unchanging diddley-aye egalitarian and non-materialistic paradise in the days before the Normans/English/asylum seekers/Krusty the Clown/whatever. Irish people have always been snobs tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement