Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for a nice Blues/Jazz song?

Options
  • 10-02-2006 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey,
    Ive got my leaving cert music exam in a month or so, im playing guitar. I dont play much blues or jazz but I really want to include a piece in my setlist to show I can variate my playing. Id say if I worked hard enuff at a piece id be able to pull it off by the performance. Can anybody suggest a short enough nice piece of jazz/blues that I could possibly learn for my exam? Im looking for a piece that will impress and sound good, but not overly complicated. It would be a great help if accurate tableture was available on the net too for it as I dont have much time to be picking it off my ear! Im

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

maybe Ornithology? It's an up-tempo Charlie Parker piece, it's quite impressive, but not too difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭IbanezFreak

Thanks for the suggestion Daddio. I must admit ive never picked off a jazz tune before it would be a challenge for me. I noticed on the tabs on the net there is not tabs for the accompanimet for the piece which might also be challenging to figure out. Any tips on how to play the accompaniment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Get another guitarist or pianist to play the chords behind you. I'd reccommend you listen to the track if you can aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Hey,
    Ive got my leaving cert music exam in a month or so, im playing guitar. I dont play much blues or jazz but I really want to include a piece in my setlist to show I can variate my playing. Id say if I worked hard enuff at a piece id be able to pull it off by the performance. Can anybody suggest a short enough nice piece of jazz/blues that I could possibly learn for my exam? Im looking for a piece that will impress and sound good, but not overly complicated. It would be a great help if accurate tableture was available on the net too for it as I dont have much time to be picking it off my ear! Im

Do you play classical style (pima?)?
    Solo jazz guitar pieces are often called "chord melody" arrangements.
    There are lots on the net; mainly in standard notation but lots in tab as well.
    I try to play some but I am useless and I find it very hard work to make them
    sound even remotely like the original melody.
    Do you have powertab? It is free and you can download lots of tabs and play them in clucnky midi mode but at least you can hear what it sounds like.

Goodbye Porkpie Hat by Charlie Mingus has a bunch of guitar arrangements.
    I have tab for it somewhere (ascii plain text tab and a powertab as well).
    I can mail these to you if you pm me.
    It is a wonderful sad blues/jazz tune that has been guitarised a few times.
    I can play it badly. If you have any talent you could do it way better than me and it is a good tune. The original recording is from Mingus Ah Um (wondeful crazy old Charlie MIngus record from late 50s).

Desmo wrote:
    Do you play classical style (pima?)?
    Solo jazz guitar pieces are often called "chord melody" arrangements.
    There are lots on the net; mainly in standard notation but lots in tab as well.
    I try to play some but I am useless and I find it very hard work to make them
    sound even remotely like the original melody.
    Do you have powertab? It is free and you can download lots of tabs and play them in clucnky midi mode but at least you can hear what it sounds like.

Goodbye Porkpie Hat by Charlie Mingus has a bunch of guitar arrangements.
    I have tab for it somewhere (ascii plain text tab and a powertab as well).
    I can mail these to you if you pm me.
    It is a wonderful sad blues/jazz tune that has been guitarised a few times.
    I can play it badly. If you have any talent you could do it way better than me and it is a good tune. The original recording is from Mingus Ah Um (wondeful crazy old Charlie MIngus record from late 50s).

p.s. here is a site specifically for jazz tabs.
    There are not many arrangements here AND many are difficult (at least for me they are) and also they may not sound like much until you hear the original recordings at least to hear what it is supposed to sound like.

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Sorry guys, tabs are officially considered as copyright infringement and so cannot be distributed on or linked to from boards.ie.

When I get around to it I'll make up a charter for the forum - I was hoping not to have to, but grey-area stuff like this needs to be clarified. Until then please avoid discussion of tabs and where to get them.

satchmo wrote:
    Sorry guys, tabs are officially considered as copyright infringement and so cannot be distributed on or linked to from boards.ie.

When I get around to it I'll make up a charter for the forum - I was hoping not to have to, but grey-area stuff like this needs to be clarified. Until then please avoid discussion of tabs and where to get them.

ehhhhh that might be a good idea; otherwise this is just unwritten rules that you have to be a mind reader to know. Someone (you?) gave out to me beofre because I praised some crowd who put a link to their music download site. You deserve credit for putting in the time like this but I have now infringed two rules without knowing that either were rules at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Charter's up now, there shouldn't be any more confusion. If something's unclear, PM me.

Advertisement