Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert Piece

Options
  • 10-02-2006 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm taking music for the L.C. and need to do a practical piece (well, 8).
    For my main piece I've decided to do a kind of a rocked-up version of 'Canon In D Major'.

Something along these lines

I have the basic structure of the song, chords etc.
    For the intro I have a vibrato part on the b string,

b|-19~---17~---15~---14~---12~---10~---/12~---/14~-| by 2

this then goes into the heavier chords etc.

The only problem I have is putting a legato part onto it towards the end.
    Does anyone know how to figure out a kind of a legato / scale run form the chords ?

* I'm not looking to do a perfect copy of the above vid, just something 'along the lines' of it *

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Anyone have any ideas or at least links to sites dealing with this type of thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If you did that in america you would be shot. Everyone does renditions on that song in recitals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

lol i was thinkin of doing very same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 truncated spurs

i suggest you don't. While it would kick ass at a gig, classical music is a very conservative genre (i play classical guitar and got shot down for using a technique from the romantic period in a baroque song by my teacher) and the examiner will most likely listen to classical and listen in shock. Imagine a busted cover of stairway to heaven and you'll come close (not comparing you to busted, just to give the general idea)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

ha, this is cool. I never heard a version like that before. Are you looking how to play the part after your tab or a part towards the end of the video.?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm doing two classical pieces on the electric guitar : Canon In D Major and Paganinis' 5th Caprice (violin piece I think)

I have 20 mins to do eight pieces so I'll have to do a cut back version of the above video.
    Thing is, at first glance it looks amazing but if you split it up it's really only 5 or 6 parts you need to be good at and then repeat as neccessary

a)Intro (vibrato up at 19th fret)
    b)Power Chords (w/ throw ins)
    c)Back to intro (but faster)
    d)Power Chords again (slower)
    e)Main melody around 15th and 17th fret
    f)Legato part I figured out
    g)Chords (again)

truncated spurs: I see what you're getting at but I'm selling my performance on the day, not the song. I can't see the examiners being too biased or thinking I'm wrecking a classical piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Examiners are judging your performance and techinque, not your choice or treatment of the tune. There's lots of people who get full marks in performance for DJing for example. I'd go for it, but you've left it seriously late for prepping your tunes :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Examiners are judging your performance and technique, not your choice or treatment of the tune and even then - well, there's lots of people who get full marks in performance for DJing for example. I'd go for it, but you've left it seriously late for prepping your tunes :eek:

jimi_t wrote:
    you've left it seriously late for prepping your tunes :eek:

Oh yeah, should have mentioned I'm still in 5th year. I'm taking time this year to prepare the practical (one less thing to worry about).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BloodLust

i did my music practical for the L.C there like last week.
    I did Blinded by Fear by At the Gates on the drums(if you dont who at the gates are a swedish melodic death metal) and i had a granny Marking me.
    HAHAHA IT WAS NOT A GOOD SONG AT ALL TO PICK HAHAHAHAH
    the face on her when i was playing it hahaha LEGEND!
    Beast of a song tho :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement