Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melting hide glue?

Options
  • 10-02-2006 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possable to melt hide glue without having to buy a special glue pot as they cost like 100 euro and at the moment I only need it for two pieces. Can I just use an ordinary old pot or something?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

From memory of 'helping' my granddad as a boy in his antiques restoration workshop, proper glue pots are double walled setups with water in between, a kind of bain-marie if you like. This is (I think) because the glue would burn with direct heat contact. A saucepan full of water with another container inside it and propped up from the bottom of the pan somehow to avoid direct contact with the heat would do I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

So like melting choclate? Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Basically, yes :) I think you can use some more serious heat for getting it melted to start with, but you need the water jacket to stop it overheating / burning while you're keeping it warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks Alun. Now its time to go ask the parents for a pot...

Advertisement