Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] New commission to oversee railway safety

Options
  • 09-02-2006 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/7353641?view=Eircomnet
    New commission to oversee railway safety
    Wednesday, 8th February, 2006

A new body responsible for regulating railway safety in the State has been officially launched in Dublin.

The Railway Safety Commission will monitor and inspect railway infrastructure, investigate and report on railway accidents as well as enforce safety on the rail infrastructure.

Speaking at the launch in Blackrock, Co Dublin, this morning Minister for Transport Martin Cullen said the establishment of the body was "timely".

"As we invest to improve our rail network, it is critical we have in place a modern regulatory framework. The new Commission will ensure the expanded railway network is built and maintained to the highest safety standards," he said.

Railway Safety Commissioner John Welsby also reminded people to have regard for railway safety while conducting activities on or near the railway.

The body will also be working with Northern Ireland Rail and European counterparts to harmonise rail transport safety levels throughout the European Union.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

oops, please move to Commuting / Transport

Bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

presumably this replaces the existing IRSC fun police - wasn't the I standing for Interim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

STRIKE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

Victor wrote:
    Bump!
    Ehh ... what was the point of this bump?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

to increase post count!

will the new RSC look into overcrowding on our trains?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

kbannon wrote:
    will the new RSC look into overcrowding on our trains?

I doubt it. I remember a while back hearing that guy from IE (can't think of his name, he's Press Officer or something) and he was asked about overcrowding. His response was along the lines of "Show me a mass-transit system anywhere in the world that is not over-crowded at peak times". So no, I can't see it being high on the agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

The RSC will only look into over crowding on a event by event basis where the over crowding led to a safety incident. If the train is crowded and you are unhappy you should not board

As it stands there is no standard in Ireland or anywhere else to my knowledge which lays down limits, the design spec for a DART coach assumes 250 passengers where in reality you are lucky to fit more than 180 in

Those people who collapse tend to fall mainly into one single category, young and female and most people collapse in the morning from my experience, maybe people should eat a proper breakfast, get a good nights sleep and not travel with a hangover when they well know it won't be a comfortable experience.

The overcrowding issue is the fault of the Department of Transport for refusing funds for more trains and infrastructure projects, Irish Rail don't help matters with the timetable

To be fair to the RSC if you write to them you will get a prompt answer and you won't be treated to the Irish Rail style response of it didn't happen and look at all this investment......... Its a pleasant change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

it's hard to reach crush load when for instance idiots insist on wearing their backpacks on the carriage... sorry, pet hate alert.

Also, people who had a seat all the way to their destination and then try and push past people who had to stand and are also trying to get off.

SeanW wrote:
    Ehh ... what was the point of this bump?
    To get the Politics mods to movce it after all these months. :D I went looking for an old thread on Politics and found this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement