Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting a VB6 app to VB.net

Options
  • 08-02-2006 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm trying to convert a VB6 application to VB.net.

I ran the upgrade wizard in VB.net and it seemed to work fine, no errors appeared.

However, when I try to run the application I get several errors.

The application ran perfectly in VB6 so there was no errors to begin with!

Could anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

It would be helpful if you told us what errors you are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

There's literally about 100, i think I'll leave it. Going by articles on the net it isn't as simple as it sounds!!

Thanks anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I tried the wizard once of twice. Never worked.

Maybe the MS Dev's only tested it on a hello world applicaton.

Only joking MS Dev's... i lub you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

There are quite a few things that there is no direct replacement for in .NET that you will have to manually recode, the upgrade wizard will only do so much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

OP, if you post your code I will try to help you to see what is wrong. VB.NET is a completely different language, the only things the same would probably be the If blocks and the loops!!!

But there is much better things you can do in it much easier now

Also one thing that dissapointed me was control arrays are not easy to do now, you have to create them at run-time, as there is no index property on any controls, and copying and pasting controls doesn't work either

• Advertisement
Advertisement