Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 9400 Graphics

Options
  • 07-02-2006 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey,

Dell currently is offering only two options, Intel bulit in graphics and nVidia 250 MB card for additional 450EUR. To me its too expensive. Do you think in future they will offer some better card than Intel builtin and cheaper too. Maybe ATI 128 MB card or something similar ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

if ur happy with a 128Mb card why not go for a 6000 and not the 9400?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ThunderStorm

^^ Due to screen size and processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

i got the 9300 with the nVidia card. They offered that or an ATi for about 150 less. I use the machine for running 3d modelling programs so i needed the good card.

What are you planning to use the machine for ? work, games ?

That intel card isnt worth pissing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

grahamor wrote:
    i got the 9300 with the nVidia card. They offered that or an ATi for about 150 less. I use the machine for running 3d modelling programs so i needed the good card.

What are you planning to use the machine for ? work, games ?

That intel card isnt worth pissing on.

Intel Graphics are grand for basic work, office, internet,etc, though like grahamor said if you want to be running games or use any graphics programs, you may have to consider paying the extra.

• Advertisement

Well, i dont mind paying extra, but 450 is huge amount. I wont be planning games, but i may have to run some graphic softwares. I dont like intel graphics card and i want something in between nVidia and this Intel graphics card. Alas! there is no available option. Thats y i was wondering that will they offer anything more suitable to me in future or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, i dont mind paying extra, but 450 is huge amount. I wont be planning games, but i may have to run some graphic softwares. I dont like intel graphics card and i want something in between nVidia and this Intel graphics card. Alas! there is no available option. Thats y i was wondering that will they offer anything more suitable to me in future or not.

I was in the same boat, and went for the insp 6000 because I could use the x300 (not great, but not the Intel crap). Laptop also won't be used for gaming.

If the laptop has an MXM slot though, you could always buy your own aftermarket card.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

Iv also read on other forums that Dell underclock their 7800 Go's. And it's by a considerable amount. There is no chance id pay and extra 450 euro for a inferior product.
    There is allways the option to overclock. But overclocking on a laptop is a bit risky. What if Dells 9400 GPU cooling solution is not effective enought? Then you'll probably just melt the GPU and have payed 450 euro for nothing. Its not worth it.

interesting!!!! Is there anyway to check if graphics card is under clocked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

yea theres loads of programmes that can read the core and memory frequencies. Just google them. Rivatuner is one that comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

FYI: Ati X300Se runs Bf2 and Fear on medium and very playable settings.

kdjac

Advertisement