Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer

Options
  • 07-02-2006 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

What are people's opinions on Acer notebooks? I can't say I know too many people who have them..

I'm looking at the new laptops coming out with the dual core processors, and this has to be the most impressive spec I've seen..

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?head=36&page=5325

It's quite pricey, and that'll probably rule it out for me (might opt for the next model down, 8202), but I haven't seen much competition..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

ive been looking at this for a few weeks now and it gets more tempting as the days go bye. its an amazing spec for a laptop and i dont know if i really need that spec but it would be nice to have, might pick one up in the states in march, but from friends that have acres they have no probs with them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

Yeah, it's really, really tempting to get that, only for the price, I'm looking at 1.7 k *STERLING* to get it with a 3 year warranty (and I'd have to get from the UK, I haven't found an Irish distributor stocking it yet).

I'd say I'll resist because of the price, it's a few hundred over my budget. There's the next model down (8202) which has 1gb of ram which I'd be happy with, but the proc would drop to a 1.66, which I'm not so crazy about, but it would be 200 stg cheaper.

Gah. What to do, what to do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Teamhair

I've an Acer- its a TravelMate 4650 Centrino machine with XP Pro, and I have to say, its out of this world. I had a Fujitsu P4 machine this time last year and it was a disaster- overheating and a bit weighty, not to mention mysterious blue screens. The Acer Centrino machines run extremely quietly, have great screens and are brilliant conserving battery- getting up to 4 hours battery life on mine and thats with wireless enabled and using the disc drive. Really pleased with it and have no problem recommending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they are quality, they have a really good feel to them and are built strong.

they have minimal rubbish pre-installed on their laptops compare to other companies like dell (took me about 2 hours to uninstall all the crap he got with his).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

There are a few bargin acers that have extremely high end components and sacrafice build quality as a result. My travelmate 3202 comes with a 1.7mhz pentium m, ati mobility radeon 9700 64mb, 60 gig hard drive, cdrw/dvdr and bluetooth and weighs in at about 2.2 kilos. I couldn't get anything with this kind of spec and weight without pay substantially more. Compared to a heavier notebook the build quality isn't as good but its survied well over a year and a half with me now. I'd recommend acer to people no probs. I know beyond2000 stock acer in dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Cremo wrote:
    they are quality, they have a really good feel to them and are built strong.

Ya they are a good quality laptops.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Have a Aspire5024 and it killed me caus i wanted the top spec which was 50quid dearer than the next 5024 and i tried everywhere and eventually settled on the 2nd one.......ya guessed it bout a montha later it came back in to stock:mad:

Wanted an ACER caus its packed full of real nice goodies and a good price,Turion,x700,100gb,7in1 card reader......etc....
    The screens are nice on them too and as said come with bout 10% of the software rubbish Dell put on them. Took me and hr to uninstall SonicDVD from a new Inspirion6000 the other nite - none of that nonsense with ACER.

Excellent - Thanks for the opinions guys. At the moment, the temptation to splash out on the 8204 is winning.

I got a quote on a similar spec IBM Thinkpad (one of the new Lenovo T60s, the Think Pad gear gets 'solid' reviews) today, and it was e4k before VAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

does anyone know of anywhereelse in dublin that sells Acer apart from beyond2k cos if im going to splash the cash on the top spec 8200 i wouldn'd mind a good look at it first. TIA

TL

Beyond2k look like the only real Acer distributor in Dublin. There's MicroAid.ie (Crap site, helpful email) and The Laptop Shop in the green centre in town who'll both order them in, but both not for a few weeks (Just like B2k).

Tbh, I'm assuming the build won't be much different from the 15.4" WSXGA chassis that a fair number of the other Acers in stock in B2k have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

There is a guy in microaid that helped me try get my ACER his name is Adrian Lawlor a real nice guy. He tried his best to get it for me,he really did.

In the end went to elara.ie and they had one that i wanted ya could try them but i dont know their situation at the mo (meant to be in liquidation)
    Give them a buzz and ask and in the meantime check www.elara.ie for a few acers

I ordered the travelmate in the end - It's sitting waiting for me later on today, hopefully :)

Adrian from MicroAid (yeah, sound guy) coincidentally contacted me today - They're going to be in stock from the 28/02, in case anyone's interested. (Eur 2,165.00 + vat).

Thanks again, chaps.

Mmm. It's very, very, nice. I'm very very happy with it so far :)

Only thing I've had a problem with is the lack of an XP Pro installation CD. It has that 'restore partition' business going on which I'll be getting rid of. That said, a reinstall with a XP Pro cd that I have (from MSDN) didn't work with the XP key on the case (I think it's like Dell XP CDs, they only work with dell supplied XP keys half the time).

Anybody with an Acer, and the copy of XP Pro they got with it willing to make me a copy? I'll try and get a copy of Acer in the meantime.

Shiny laptop goodness. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

Acers are deadly, got myself a Ferrari there a while back and it's brilliant. Thinking of switching to an Ultra-portable or a tablet PC now though so I'm sad to say I might have to get rid of it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Yeh, also dealt with Adrian from microaid, great guy, i think he runs the whole thing from home :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I am on my second Acer notebook, its an Aspire 1501LC.

Very good reliable machine (some issues with CPU overheating
    when I got it first) but since then not a bother, bit on the
    heavy side but very solid.

I bought mine online from the UK from acernotenooks, that
    machine you mention at the start is a bit cheaper there
    too:

http://www.acernotebooks.co.uk/Acer_TravelMate_8204WLMi_Laptop_LX.TAX06.023/version.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Ive had a acer for 2 and 1/2 years so its bein through a lot at this stage. I picked it up for college got it factory reburished from a company is england. It was very cheap for what it was at the time. I havent had any serious problems with it but I thought it would be a shame to not 3 my 3 year warrenty! So i sent it back there was something minor wrong with the LCD and the plastic surrond was abit cracked. Anyway there replacing the LCD for free.

So ive certainly got my monies worth

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

The following are a few good cheap UK dealers I found that deliver to Ireland:

http://www.technoworld.com/
    http://www.savastore.com/
    http://www.shopacer.co.uk/
    http://www.acernotebooks.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭scoby

I bought my acer in right-click on camden st. D2
    Really friendly staff, didn't seem to have a huge range but good deals on the ones they have.
    I got my Turion with x700 graphics, DVD writer for less than a thousand, I've seen a same spec pentium m machine in beyond 2000 for 1400.

Probably end of line products that they can get a good deal on but I'm extremely happy with mine

Advertisement