Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming Degree Courses

Options
  • 07-02-2006 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello, I was looking into doing an honours degree course in National College of Ireland. Degree course is the Systems Software honours degree course. Anyone gone to that college and can rate it? Is the course any good? Worthwhile completing, or can a better course be done in another college? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Wolfy100

I have 7 years experience in IT with an honours degree in Physics and a Masters in Software Engineering. My advice to you is to look into what you want to do in IT and look for a course that focuses on that. No one on here can tell you what the best course is because IT is so varied these days, it is no longer programming, programming, programming.

If you are interested in a long term career in IT and can your career going from tea boy to programmer to manager then maybe look at Software Engineering or courses that deal with the theory of IT and business. You can learn a programming language from a book at home, you don't need to go to college for that.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Wolfy100 wrote:
    I have 7 years experience in IT with an honours degree in Physics and a Masters in Software Engineering. My advice to you is to look into what you want to do in IT and look for a course that focuses on that. No one on here can tell you what the best course is because IT is so varied these days, it is no longer programming, programming, programming.

If you are interested in a long term career in IT and can your career going from tea boy to programmer to manager then maybe look at Software Engineering or courses that deal with the theory of IT and business. You can learn a programming language from a book at home, you don't need to go to college for that.

Hope that helps

You can learn anything from a book! But its the piece of paper at the end of the day that shows employers what you can do!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

py2006 wrote:
    You can learn anything from a book! But its the piece of paper at the end of the day that shows employers what you can do!
    I wouldn't really consider that the best reason for doing a course - there are many things that I learned on my course that have only come in useful recently. Given the option I never would have actually gone about learning about them myself, but since the coursework forces you to do it I'm glad that I did. And you'd be surprised how knowing about one seemingly unrelated topic helps you figure out and understand something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Wolfy100

py2006 wrote:

I admit that employers want to see a nice grade on a piece of paper but if you are looking for a course the shouldn't you do something that you really want to and not because what you think employers will want in 4 years time. In my experience you will be far happier and probably do better doing a course that you are really interested in and not what you think you should do to get that job in four years time.

An example, you think you want to go into IT but are unsure what to focus on, you have an interest in programming, web site building and business. If you take a course that focuses on programming then you will pidgeon hole yourself as a programmer (not pleasant believe me). If you do IT with business (or some variation) then you gain that piece of paper and a broader idea of the IT and business world. If you still want to program then take the Sun Java exams privately (or Microsoft ones).

Sorry, didn't want to lecture but there is a lot of competition for jobs that really aren't that great. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I studied in NCI for 2 years (did the cert). I found the place pretty bad. In my opinion the lecturers had no drive / interest in what they were teaching bar 1 or 2. The structure of the course is purly commercial based technologies (Don't get me wrong thats fine) but a lot of people didn't actually understand what they were doing, such as how it was useful and potential alternatives etc.

I knew quite a few people who didn't know what a variable was after completing 3 years at NCI (2nd year of the software systems course)

Of course this is all down to peoples work ethic and enjoyment (or displeasure ;) ) of the course / technology.

IF you want the course to be beneficial you have to enjoy IT. Otherwise you will graduate the course with only the knowledge that is taught on the course and nothing else. I saw the final year projects web page for the degree, most of the app's were database applications (Front end - back end) in Java & MySQL (Not very good for 4years of studying a topic)

Comp app in DCU is highly regarded. The course in DIT also looks quite good. If you have the option perhaps look at the UK, they are far more flexible in what you will actually study on the course.

Also my biggest gripe with the place... The IFSC is possibly the worst student environment ever :). There are more part-time then full-time students overall at NCI. Goto a more student friendly, fun college :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

damnyanks wrote:
    Also my biggest gripe with the place... The IFSC is possibly the worst student environment ever :). There are more part-time then full-time students overall at NCI. Goto a more student friendly, fun college :D

Could not agree more!
    I am finishing this year at NCI. The college is over all boring in the "College" life area.

However a wide range of starter packs are thought. How far you want to get into any piticular part of the course is up to your self.

Some of the course that far surpasses a starter pack include
    - Software Engineering
    - Databases
    - Java (+ Corba)
    - Managment

Course is built to provide direction for those who will take the information and start a business of some sort. (or fail and be a manager)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I also am a graduate of NCI (last yr's Software systems class). To be honest I would never go back. Why? Well everything is all well and good until you hit 4th year and when you have to do a software project. The technical knowledge is just not there amongst the lecturers in NCI. I know a few of the guys doing the course this yr and to be honest the supervisors are f**k all help because they just don’t have the technical expertise needed to guide them. Run into any sort of problem and you are f****d. I should know there was plenty of my class in that boat. As well as that the course (as I would call it) is a "jack of all trades and master of none" course. As far as I can see the best you can get out of it is a crappy tech support or testing job. Also the IFSC is not the most "student friendly" area to have a college in and I get the impression that the mood in the area is that they could take or leave NCI. I mean if the IFSC was so interested in NCI they would invest a few quid in developing courses or even employ a few of their graduates?? My advice is to go to DIT / DCU / TCD where a computer degree has some currency in the jobs market. Mind you if you were interested in doing something in business it does has a good reputation for HR graduates! Then again who wants to do HR boring!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I'd love to do the degree at DCU but unfortunately its on done full time. I really couldn't see myself living the life of a student at the age of 28. I want to save money and buy me own house. Not still living at home at 32!

So I am considering doing the one in IT Blanch in the evenings!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

DIT do a part time IT degree http://www.comp.dit.ie/courses.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 itsmeyouknow

Cheers, thanks for getting back to my question. At €3,500 per year, and the place is pretty cac, not really worth my while. I'll try DIT or somewhere else better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement