Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops from the States.

Options
  • 07-02-2006 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of buying a laptop from the states and Im just wondering about plugs ETC? Would I need to buy a whole new power supply or just a €2 plug adaptor? anything else I should know about?

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Just a €2 plug adapter. Or a lead. All laptop power supplies have a built in transformer.

Look into the warranty etc.

The keyboard layout is slightly different. Only the " and the @ being reversed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Qwerty.svg

Just dump the box so you dont get stung by customs, and have it charged when you go to the airport incase they ask you to turn it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

One thing I'd be worried about is the warranty.
    If you bring it back to Ireland there's a good chance the warranty won't apply anymore or it'll just be too much bother sending it to the US to get sorted.

I'm not sure which companies will honour your warranty if you do buy abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Thanks, Its a second hand sony off ebay, so warranty isnt an option.

Thanks
    Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

The lead from the plug socket to the charger transformer is usually only rated 110V insulated on the American chargers.
    I have an American Dell charger and changed this bit as its a standard lead with a three point plug on one end and a clover leaf on the other, didn't want to chance it and it's better then having to use an adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

the apple warranty is international, i know you are buying a sony who if bought new in the states will only look after it for 3 months back here unless you shell out for the 3 year international warranty. Not sure about any other makes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Toshiba offer a 1 year warranty internationally. Mine died the day I took it home and needed a whole new motherboard so the warranty was definietly needed.

Advertisement