Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recover data from internal hard drive

Options
  • 07-02-2006 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows how I could recover the data from my internal hard drive on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 6000). I was unable to boot from the hard drive and after running the diagnostics with dell support they advised me that I needed a new hard drive. I now have the new hard drive in place but don't know how to get the data off the old hard drive.

The only solution I could find was to get an ide to usb convertor, connect it to a PC and try to recover it that way. Do you think that is the best way of going about it or is there any other alternatives? Or is there any companies in dublin that can recover this data for me without charging an arm and a leg?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

yea i think getting a cable to attach to PC is prob the best way of getting the data off. Getting a pro to try and recover data will always be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Did you try any of the "undelete" programs. Most of them have a demo prog.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

this won't be much help. the files were not deleted. they're just not easily read due to a physical failure with the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

irlrobins wrote:
    this won't be much help. the files were not deleted. they're just not easily read due to a physical failure with the drive.

Yeah this is right. When I had the old internal hard drive in place and tried to boot windows on it, I kept getting the error "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete". Before this error, the line "Loading PBR2...done" would appear. The LED, that shows when the disk is being read, was constantly on.

I have the WinXP disk and tried to reinstall the OS and then try to recover the files but the CD was going to format the drive as there was no space for the XP installation. I didn't think formatting the drive was a good idea so I didn't reinstall the OS.

Has anyone ever reinstalled the OS (and formatting the partition where all you data was) and then used an app like Search and Recover 3 to recover their data?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭WILKEL

The hard drive on my (work) dell inspiron 8100 had packed up but there is only a small bit of data i need recovered on it.:mad:
    I have sent it to a firm in Bray (min charge €65 ) and should hear back this week if they can recover it and if itwill cost any more than the min charge.
    I will post back a let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Ill take a look at it for you if you like, at a reasonable rate too ;)

USB is one way of doing it, but you have limited control over the board if the HD is sick.

Drop me a PM..........

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

I had this problem last week.

Download Ubuntu live and burn the iso to a disk: http://www.ubuntu.com/download
    Then boot Ubuntu and open the terminal.

In order to see the files on the hard drive you will have to mount the partition. Check out this thread to find out how: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054884923

Then burn the files to a cd.

It sounds a bit complicated but its realy not that bad. Also this way you dont have to buy an IDE to USB adaptor.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you know anyone with a 2.5" hard disk caddy you can pop it into that. You can get them on ebay cheap, I got mine for about 20 I think. If the data is still there and the hdd is ok will show up as a removeable drive in my computer. Where abouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Along the same vein as Kevo's solution, I'd try burning an iso of "knoppix std", and replacing the broken hard drive in the machine.
    Includes a custom set of packages for this sort of stuff.

ftp/email files that you want to keep, assuming you don't have area to copy entire disk image.

Advertisement