Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clive Barker's Nightbreed

Options
  • 07-02-2006 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

:D Has any-1 else seen clive barker's nightbreed? How good is that film!!! who's u're fav monster?:)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I was it but it was like almost 15 years ago so I cant rember a lot about it. I rember thinking it was good but I wonder what I would think if I watched it now. I rember playing the game on the Amiga all those years ago, was a weird game. Id like to see this one again, it was based on the book Cabal if memory serves, dam I wana see thos one again now that ya have put it into my head.

I saw this a few years back. From what I remember it was very good. It was pure Barker, the imagery and characters. Its available on R1 DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Agent_X

Yeah it is based on clive's barker's book cabal, i've been lookin everywhere to get it on R2 but there doesn't seem 2 be 1!:( kinski is so weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

David Cronenberg played the bad guy... he was great in it very creepy.

I also remember the Amiga game... one was a standard action game that wasn't very good... but the other was a sort of interactive movie that was a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Watched it on yer reccomendations...youre all crazy. It is absolutely woeful! The monsters look good...everything else is cringeworthy. Cronenberg cant act!

• Advertisement

While I respect your opinion Tusky, You're wrong :P

It's Great!

Tusky wrote:
    Cronenberg cant act!
    That's the beauty of not casting an actor... it comes across as strange and out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I do love Barkers monsters though...he has some imagination. I love the effects also. Makeup/prostetic > CGI monsters.

Barkers stories always seem to have very little structure...he seems to let his imagination go wild..which is good in some ways but makes his books a little hard to read.

Which was the book with the carpet with the hidden civilisation embroidered into it? That was probably one of his better books.

And The Great and Secret Show was pretty good too as the bad guy was cool.

But generally I find he has trouble writing female characters... they are either super evil or wooden and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Which was the book with the carpet with the hidden civilisation embroidered into it? That was probably one of his better books.

Weaveworld.
    But generally I find he has trouble writing female characters... they are either super evil or wooden and boring.

Really? I always though writing strong female characters was one of Barker's strong points. The heroine in Weaveworld for instance, is a completely believable character.

I also have much love for The Thief of Always. One of my favourite books.

Cabal is a good read. Never saw Nightbreed. Played the Amiga game and it was pretty dodgy but intriguing. I wanted to finish it but kept getting stuck down a pit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Agent_X

Tusky wrote:
    Watched it on yer reccomendations...youre all crazy. It is absolutely woeful! The monsters look good...everything else is cringeworthy. Cronenberg cant act!

ahhh how dare u!!! Cronenberg was great, his voice was so scary and coz he looks normal it made it creepier.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah so I watched it again last night. It was like over 15 years since id seen it before and I rembered very little second time around.

So for one I did like cronanberg he was good in it.
    The story was a little too disjionted like he assumed you had read the book and dident need to fll in the blanks, of witch there were many.
    The monsters were great, but I liked the Nazi sherif guy best he was funny.

The whole film felt weird, what was really going on im not sure any one really knows. What was that bit at the end all about? Id say the only one who knows all this is Barker him self and he is not telling anyone.

Id just say the film was so so, great for in its day but by todays standards nothing special. Id love to see Barker do it again with today`s effects CGI wasent really used back then and made now it could have been a very different film.

Advertisement