Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl

Options
  • 06-02-2006 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm currently doing the leaving cert and I'm aiming to get primary teaching as my number one. But I was just wondering does anyone know if it's possible to do a TEFL in primary education and teach abroad, like perhaps in Europe?? I've always loved travelling and well, if I could teach and travel some time in the future that would be amazing.

Any tips or anything, please let me know, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I can't answer your direct question but my advice would be to do a recognised course. That means RELSA or similar. The course should be 100 hours or so and include teaching practice. They are only four weeks long and you could conceivably do one in a summer or do the course after your degree. In general TEFL teachers need to have a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Muiriosa wrote:
    Hi there,

I'm currently doing the leaving cert and I'm aiming to get primary teaching as my number one. But I was just wondering does anyone know if it's possible to do a TEFL in primary education and teach abroad, like perhaps in Europe?? I've always loved travelling and well, if I could teach and travel some time in the future that would be amazing.

Any tips or anything, please let me know, thanks!

I know TEFL teachers who have no degree. Friends of mine teach during the summer in Ireland when the Italian and Spanish students arrive. I would say get your primary teaching sorted in the normal way, and then as the other advice says, get a recognised tefl cert and off you go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

is_that_so wrote:
    I can't answer your direct question but my advice would be to do a recognised course. That means RELSA or similar. The course should be 100 hours or so and include teaching practice. They are only four weeks long and you could conceivably do one in a summer or do the course after your degree. In general TEFL teachers need to have a degree.

There is so much demand for TEFL teachers in Europe that you don't need a degree. I got a decent tefl job without having a degree or a recognised TEFL qualification. All you need is to be a native English speaker, motivated and hard-working.

Just my two-cents!:p Good luck!

PS: Check out the website tefl.com and for the dodgy tefl schools: dave's esl café

Advertisement