Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mails being sent from my email account

Options
  • 06-02-2006 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Just got an email from an irish company's security software saying that they've blocked an email from my address to a member of their staff.

Now, Ive never sent an email to anyone in that organisation so Ive no clue how it happened. Ive scanned my machine with the latest AVG, Spybot, Adaware, and MS Anti spywear... with no problems.

Any advice?? Its annoying!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Someone with your email address in their address book is infected, and the virus is using your valid email address in the from field? Perhaps.

Can you post the headers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Not sure what you mean by the headers..

Heres the mail, Ive XXX'd out the email addresses.

"MailMarshal (an automated content monitoring gateway) has not
    delivered the following message:

To: XXXXX@ XXXXXXXXXX. ie
    Subject: Re: thanks!

This is due to automatic rules that have determined that the
    message is probably junk email. If you believe the message was
    business related please contact postmaster@ XX. ie and request
    that the message be released. If no contact is made within 5
    days the message will automatically be deleted.

MailMarshal Rule: Anti-Virus (Inbound) : Block PIF etc
    {LastTextCensorRuleTriggered}

Email Content Security provided by NetIQ MailMarshal."

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

zabbo wrote:
    Someone with your email address in their address book is infected, and the virus is using your valid email address in the from field? Perhaps.
    Probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A lot of e-mail based worms use fake e-mail addresses and this results in a lot of incorrect notifications. A lot of system administrors turn off these notifications for this reason. You end up spamming 50 times as many innocent people as infected ones. Just ignore it if you know it isn't you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

best you can do is run av and spywre scan and if paranoid rootkit check your PC.

I remember getting an e-mail from a relation once asking me why did i send them this bad bad thingy. Took me an hour to explain i never sent it.

If you want to take it further theres an ip adress in the header but when you contact the isp of that address they will probably tell you politely to go away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 xephyr

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

Not to make you paranoid, but it is possible that someone could be forging your email to this person.

It is not difficult at all and with ericom, they still allow internal relaying with their sendmail system. We used to do this for fun, but it can be abused.

You may want to look into that. Ask the company to send you the email with all the headers. Then trace the email back and report it to eircom if necessary.

You also might want to take a look at this:
    http://www.onimoto.com/cache/50.html

Just a thought. I hope you get tot he bottom of it.

Advertisement