Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Fan noise

Options
  • 06-02-2006 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Lads, I recently built my new machine. The Lian Li V1200 case has two 120mm fans mounted on the case and I have a 120mm Zalman CNPS7700-CU Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler for my 4400 X2+..

I currently have the processor running at 2.4 GHz and the temperature sits at around 27 degrees while idle and doesn't go much higher than 30 when under load.

The problem is that the noise coming from the case is just too loud. I presumed (foolishly maybe) that it was being generated by the 2 120mm fans on the front and rear of the case so I bought a fan controller and slowed them down to less than 1000rpm.. I even turned them off at one stage and the case, motherboard, GPU and CPU temps all remained stable.. The noise remained so its obviously the "Ultra-Quiet" heatsink fan causing the problem.

The fan is running a over 1800rpm according to Asus probe. Is there any software that I can use to slow this down to test temps or would be any harm to disconnect the CPU fan from the board and connect it to the fan controller?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Speedfan will allow you to change the speed from within windows. There should have been a little Zalman Fanmate fan controller thingy with the CNPS, have you used it?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

it could be your psu fan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its not the CPU fan... I was reluctant to use the fan controller but will do no problem now.. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

My money's on the PSU fan. What PSU do you have?

<edit nm, just read your sig>

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nope was defo the CPU fan.. Slowed it down to 1000rpm and now I can hear the PSU fan.. Idle temps are just below 30 degree now so all is well.. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement