Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cut and oil a new Oak worktop

Options
  • 05-02-2006 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Ok seems stupid but I dont what to ruin the oak tops. Im fitting cabinets in the living room and have just purchased a large oak top. I have to cut down to size and put oil on the thing..

My questions

What the best way to cut down the lump of oak its 40mm thick and 4000mm lenght. I need 1970mm on one and 1840mm for the other.

I have also been supplied with some oil and wire wool... What the procedure for oiling the top ready for use. How many coats does it need and how ofter do I need to oil to maintain.

thanks for any help

Garyh3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

A skill saw with a stright edge clamped to the boards would be d best way to handle them and cut to length!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Oil the bottom of the oak as well It'll help it not to warp Not sure how many coats to give it I'll ask one of the lads in work tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

god the more the better! id give a min of 5 or 6 coats!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Garyh3,

The usual amount of oil is anywhere between 3-4 coats for the face and edges and 5-6 coats for the endgrain, as you know the end grain will be more absorbant than the face.

Not a hard job to do, just takes time. Make sure the surface to be treated is clean, dry and well sanded to a good finish. Apply the oil with a clean cloth, liberaly then really work it into the wood, letting it really soak in good even coats. After 30 mins so so wipe off the surplus, and leave it to dry (usually overnight, but depends on the oil you are using).

As stated apply your 3-4 coats for the face and sides, 5-6 for the endgrain, in good even coats. If any roughness does appear between coats give it a rub down with VERY fine wirewool.

Thats how me does it ;) . But have a look about the net and such and make sure you fully understand how to go about it before trying it out.

Best of luck,

CroppyBoy1798

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Thanks all for the responses.... Will let you know how I got on.

Garyh3

• Advertisement

Ok built the carcasses for the oak top but have a quick few questions

For each alcove there are 2 singles and one double per side. (Configuration SDS)

First how do you secure the Carcasses to the wall what the best method.?

Should you secure the carcasses together ?

So when I put the whole lot together I have a gap of about 100mm (which I already knew) so where do you put the gap filler piece of wood 50mm each next to the wall or 50mm between the single and the double carcasses?
    thanks

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Gary,
    I am hoping to do a similar job - i probably won't start for a month or so !
    I'd really appreciate it if you could post pictures of the cabinet as it goes together. I'm fairly handy but have little to no experience with wood - I can design & manufacture complex machines out of other materials so i think with patience and your experience, if you're willing to share;) i'll manage it.
    Thanks,
    C:D

Hi charlesanto

If you go to:www.in-house.ie and then go into kitchens you will see the plans.

I just bought the carcasses from them. I had to recut and redrill the sides as I need them to fit into an alcove but its pretty simple. These are the plans I followered to put them together.

regards

Garyh3

http://www.in-house.ie/product_details.asp?pro_id=73&cat=1&subcat=5

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Ok Gary, i had got the impression you were building a oak cabinate from scratch - no need for photos of a flat-pack. Thanks.

Sorry no... I dont have the time, tools or space to do it from scratch, also I was quoted nearly 4,000 euros :eek: for custom fit cabinets (MDF) with an oak top....

After looking at all the options this was the best compromise....

Good luck with your build....

Garyh3

• Advertisement
Advertisement