Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell inspiron 9400 vs inspiron 6000

Options
  • 04-02-2006 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

im looking for people opinions on these two models because im not too sure which is the better option. i have €1000 to spend ex vat so that leaves the highest 6000 model and the lowest 9400 model.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_6000?c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&l=en&s=bsd
    the one on the left is the one im looking at in the 6000 range.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_9400?c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&l=en&s=bsd
    the one on the right is the one im looking at in the 9400 range.

intended use: Internet, movies, music, downloading, buring cds and dvds, while on the net i usually have loads of windows open, and wireless internet at college

College stuff: basic word and excel documents and some basic java programming

Some games, dont really play that many games except football manager which shouldnt be too much of a ask on the graphics card

i love listening to music but the quality of the speakers isnt essential as i have a sub woofer in my room with the ear phone jack.(stolen from my pc)

cd burner and dvd burner are essential

hard disk space id like to get as big as possible so maybe 60-80 gig

Mobility:ill be bringing it with me to college almost every day so that is pretty eseential although 1 kg difference doesnt matter a whole lot

TV out: essential

if there are any other makes or models that i should be looking at please suggest any help/ advice is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

any help at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

blocparty wrote:
    any help at all?
    I'd probably go for the 6000, nice solid portable laptop. 9400 has brownie points for being newer, but overall methinks the 6000 might fit your needs better and be kinder to your wallet

ya thats what i was thinking myself. theres not much of a difference between the two really just small differences. thanks for the help

Don't skimp on warranty though, get CompleteCare if you can :) Avoid the 90-day CAR like the plague (if it's available with that system)

ya someone advised me to only go for that so i could knock another 200 off the price but ive been told that its a case of when something goes wrong with a laptop rather that if. im going to spend all my budget on the laptop no point in saving money if you come out with a crappy laptop

• Advertisement

blocparty wrote:
    ya someone advised me to only go for that so i could knock another 200 off the price but ive been told that its a case of when something goes wrong with a laptop rather that if. im going to spend all my budget on the laptop no point in saving money if you come out with a crappy laptop
    Well it's just pretty frustrating if you've had it 6 months and are out of warranty already.

cheers for the advice anyway. any other bits of wisdom?

blocparty wrote:
    cheers for the advice anyway. any other bits of wisdom?
    Not really, might be an idea to call a salesperson and see how low you can get it.

is there potentail to haggle with the sales people? maybe like knocking off a extra few quid or maybe free carry case or memory stick?

blocparty wrote:
    is there potentail to haggle with the sales people? maybe like knocking off a extra few quid or maybe free carry case or memory stick?
    Most definitely. The Indian guys aren't the best for haggling but the Irish guys are generally great. Overall, depends what kind of day they're having.

• Advertisement

cool. ill do my best! i think my cousin used work there so she might know someone who would be able to sort me out. cheers

blocparty wrote:
    cool. ill do my best! i think my cousin used work there so she might know someone who would be able to sort me out. cheers
    If not PM me and I can hook you up with someone.

Advertisement