Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Mountcharles

Options
  • 04-02-2006 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    Does anyone know if broadband is available in Mountcharles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Trixabelle wrote:
    Hi,
    Does anyone know if broadband is available in Mountcharles?

Try this, click on; www.utvclicksilver.com/

Then click on their Availability checker from the list on the left of their page, it should ask you to type in your 'full' phone number, and then it should let you know if your line has been broadband enabled ;) .

Good luck.

P.:cool: Most broadband providers, offer a similar free line check :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,953 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Firstly welcome aboard Trixabelle.

Not sure about the bb situation but there are a couple of people from around that area and who are regular contributers here who will be able to tell you.

If you are on dial up at present you can log on to either the Eircom, BtIreland or UTV sites and run a check but dont rely on that. I was on broadband for about a year and just for fun I did the online check on the Eircom website and was told that I could not get broadband.

If nobody can confirm it here the best thing to do is ask some of the Eircom technicians in the area

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't think Eircom have broadband-enabled the exchange in Mountcharles. I'm just thinking actually, where IS the exchange in Mountcharles?

Do you share the same number system as Dunkineely? ie 9735xxx is Mountcharles afaik. Maybe the exchange in Dunkineely is used for both Mouncharles and Dunkineely. Not sure.

I also don't think there are any wireless ISP's in the area that you could use.

But, you should ring eircom and find out, just to be sure. Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Trixabelle

thanx guys.
    Movin there next week. will keep at all providers until i get broadband!
    I think its the same exchange as Dunkineely but am not certain.
    I'll let you know how i get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 boghopper

Ive lived here in Mountcharles for ages and althoigh eircom are constanly promising that the Mountcharles exchange will be enabled "very soon":rolleyes: still nothing.It's weird but from the road from Donegal town to Killybegs every village has broadband except for us. Petitions were even sent to eircom and despite promises of our exchange being enabled before St.Patrick's day it's late May now and im still on bloody dial up. dont know if this thread is still live. I just found it.:mad:

• Advertisement
    byte

I'm not sure where the phone exchange in Mountcharles is?

It's possible that Trixabelle is right - you share the Inver exchange. If this is so, then you haven't much hope of getting DSL as Inver is too far away for DSL to work. Though I think there are some sort of equipment that can be installed to overcome this problem. Whether Eircon will or not, is another issue!

On the bright side, Moutcharles is rather high up. So many might be at an advantage if some company were to set up a wireless broadband operation.

There is a Fixed Wireless Access point on Barnesmore Gap, though I think there are issues with capacity that the company, NWEWN are trying to address.

Inver has had broadband since Feb 06 :mad:

byte

I notice that Inver numbers are prefixed 9736 whereas Mountcharles numbers are prefixed 9735. Perhaps they don't share the same exchange so?

Somebody somewhere in Mountcharles might know where the exchange is. Usually hard to miss the big green container!

just when you mention the big green box i saw some eircom peeps fiddling with a big green box beside the main road of the bypass. must have a look when i go home.

byte

I'd imagine that the big green box is indeed your exchange.

• Advertisement
Advertisement