Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple css layer transparency?

Options
  • 04-02-2006 3:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I'm creating a webpage where I have a main background image to the webpage.
    I'm looking to place a "panel" over this image upon which I want to place text.

How can I set the panel image layer to be transparent, so that I can read and text and see the background image at the same time?

Click the link for an example of what I'm talking about:
    Linky

Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

why can't you just copy/emulate/reverse engineer the code from the sample you've given us? or is that just a photoshop mock up?

Do a search on google, I would bet a large sum of money that there are tons of examples out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Baz_ wrote:
    why can't you just copy/emulate/reverse engineer the code from the sample you've given us? or is that just a photoshop mock up?

Do a search on google, I would bet a large sum of money that there are tons of examples out there.
    Yeah, that was a screenshot. I was hoping to get a tried-and-tested method from somebody here, rather than going to google and finding 10 different ways to do the same thing.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

sinecurea wrote:
    Yeah, that was a screenshot. I was hoping to get a tried-and-tested method from somebody here, rather than going to google and finding 10 different ways to do the same thing.

One thing that I've found is that knowing those 10 ways (hypothetically speaking - there might be more, there might be less) eventually help.

I know the quick fix is what you need for a 5-minute job, and can take much longer to master the 10 ways you'll find on google. Only thing is, you'll probably find that those 10 ways do subtly different things - and some day you'll find yourself wanting to do something quite similar, but ever-so-slightly different. That's when knowing the other 9 techniques really help. :)

Simply put, the pain of learning that sorta stuff doesn't go to waste. In fact, I find pain is a good teacher. If I ever end up as a computer science lecturer, I'll see if the college will allow me to implant subdermal electrodes to shock students - forcing them to learn quicker, and more effectively. ;)

Aoife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭irishmilk

sinecurea wrote:
    Hi Folks,
    I'm creating a webpage where I have a main background image to the webpage.
    I'm looking to place a "panel" over this image upon which I want to place text.

How can I set the panel image layer to be transparent, so that I can read and text and see the background image at the same time?

Click the link for an example of what I'm talking about:
    Linky

Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    S.

Dreamweaver > instert > layout Objects > Div Tag
    or you can write the div code by hand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

PhantomBeaker,
    I know that's the best way to do things, esp to learn from your mistakes. I was just hoping that I could find a quick-fix this time.
    Ends up that I probably need to learn a bit more about css in general anyway...

Cheers,
    S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Although it's not a proper css transparency trick, it is quick and dirty... make a 2x2 gif with a checkerboard pattern... 2 pixels solid colour and 2 pixels transparent... set it as your div background repeating on x and y.
    That's if you're desparate anyway ;)

Advertisement