Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop problem 'Sonic Update Manager' pop-up

Options
  • 04-02-2006 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Hello there,
    I recently got my laptop (yay!) but each time i log on this pop up box comes up on screen. its so annoying its only just happening today. i only got the laptop yesterday.

it pops up saying 'sonic update manager' and 'the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available' 'Insert the sonic update manager disk and click OK'

i dont have any such disk

the only way it will go away is if i do a ctrl alt delete and end task.
    but i dont want to have to do this each time i log on...

any advice?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

VAIO?:)
    Look in your Start Menu ... ahem.
    Failing that: Start -> Run -> MSCONFIG -6 -> untickety some items..y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

http://tinyurl.com/586rz look here !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

thanks karoma and greglo
    but karoma what should i 'untickity'?!
    i got that configuration box up but dont know what to untick

greglo nice one but i dont know wat i lookin for on that link

ooh dear :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

From greglo's link:
    Why does the Update Manager try to update all of the time?
    There are no separate user settings to limit the frequency with which Sonic Update Manager checks for updates. Within RecordNow though, it is possible to select whether or not the Sonic Update Manager will automatically check for updates when RecordNow launches. To disable that automatic check go through the following steps.

# Start RecordNow.
    # Click on the Options (wrench) icon.
    # Click on "General."
    # Under "Startup," remove the checkmark from "Check for updates."
    # Click on "OK."

This can also be an error of the Sonic Update Manager ( or "sgtray.exe" if using the Veritas version) unsuccessfully attempting to update itself. To update, remove this program using the "Add/Remove Programs," control panel. Then download the latest version here and install.
    If you decide to permanently remove the Sonic Update Manager, it will not affect the performance of any Sonic software currently installed on the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Sesheta

Finally got delivery of the laptop on Friday...but the celebrating got cut prematurely short when the damned popup made it's presence felt! After trying msconfig I eventually uninstalled in desperation but now have a brand new popup!!! This one says Sonic Activation Module instead Download Manager. I'm distinctly underwhelmed by the cd and dvd software that Dell ships with their laptops. I've installed PowerDVD and hopefully will be getting Roxio easy cd creator 7 before the end of the week but now I've got a brand new problem.
    Powerdvd (and for that matter the Sonic piece of ****) play dvd's looking extremely pixelated with poor colour gradation.
    I don't fancy dealing with Dells tech support just to be told that it's a software problem and I should consult the manufacturers. :mad:
    Does anyone have ANY ideas how to fix this. The machines only two days old and already my head is wrecked!!!
    Cheers,
    Sesheta

• Advertisement
Advertisement