Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Village"

Options
  • 03-02-2006 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

A project underway in North Co. Tipperary, 67 acres have been set aside to develop a self sustaining community. Website: http://www.thevillage.ie/

The aim is to devote 1/3 of the land to human habitation and business, 1/3 to horticulture and 1/3 to forestry.
    The Company

We want to create and manage a sustainable village in Ireland which will serve as a model for sustainable living into the 21st century, and as an education, enterprise, research and service resource for all.

We aim to demonstrate a socially, economically and ecologically viable community that will promote its work and findings through a variety of media and educational programs. We also want to :

* minimise pollution to the air, water and land
    * demonstrate a new approach to rural regeneration
    * maximise the potential for earning a living both inside and outside the Village by facilitating systems whereby people can create local and sustainable work
    * provide for the cultural, artistic and non-material needs of the residents of the Village and surrounding community.

Its not going to be like a 60's hippy comune either, they intend to have all the modern conviences such as wireless broadband connectivity, mobile phones etc.

If I didn't live so far away I'd give serious thought to applying myself :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭turbine?

I read about this project recently. It sounds like a good idea. Will be interseting to see how it goes. I know of a few villages that have had their communities altered for the worst by the building estates with no consideration given to local amentiy, transportation and loacal facilites. Maybe this project will prove a better method for rural expansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

this project will likely be great but the problem with the thing is ya gotta be loaded to get involved, and that isn't sustainable

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

This has been coming awhile hasnt it - i know they wanted it a few times but ther was no funds. Great to see a bit of go forward with this:D

Advertisement