Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Idea, Cheap RAM Boost

Options
  • 03-02-2006 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

An interesting idea, (I think Mircosoft are using it in Vista) is it possible to use a USB flash memory stick as extra ram for the system is there any utility out there that can make this happen would be very cool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Performance would be terrible, you'd be better off using the pagefile on the hard-drive, and the pendrive would die pretty quickly due to the excessive amount of writes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Not to my knowledge. I hardly think it would be beneficial tbh, as the transfer limits of USB are meagre compared to direct disk, or RAM access.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

WizZard wrote:
    Not to my knowledge. I hardly think it would be beneficial tbh, as the transfer limits of USB are meagre compared to direct disk, or RAM access.

yeh this would actually slow down the pc and not speed it up.
    Cheaper to buy extra ram then a pendrive anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

one guy managed to get 4 pen drives raided using Linux, must look up the article :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

astrofool wrote:
    one guy managed to get 4 pen drives raided using Linux, must look up the article :)
    yeah raid's been done on Jaz disks (and 1.44MB floppies :eek: )

How about 4GB of cheapo RAM that thinks its a SATA drive, use as a nice fast swap file / %temp% folder. http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/gigabyte-iram/index.x?pg=1
    it's unlikely you'll want to waste high-end memory on the i-RAM. You see, the i-RAM's Serial ATA controller is limited to 150MB/s transfer rates, creating a bottleneck that will constrain performance long before memory speeds or latencies enter the picture. In fact, even DDR200 memory has ample bandwidth to saturate the i-RAM's Serial ATA interface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

yeah raid's been done on Jaz disks (and 1.44MB floppies :eek: )

How about 4GB of cheapo RAM that thinks its a SATA drive, use as a nice fast swap file / %temp% folder. http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/gigabyte-iram/index.x?pg=1

Im waiting for the second Gen I-RAM, with SATA 300 and 8 DDR slots, 4x 1GB sticks arent too cheap right now, but lotsa people have a load of 512MB sticks.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Did Adobe ever get round to getting their products to run off internal Flash Ram?

Now software running off Flash ram that would be nice but expensive.

kdjac

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

KdjaC wrote:
    Did Adobe ever get round to getting their products to run off internal Flash Ram?

Now software running off Flash ram that would be nice but expensive.

kdjac
    Ah the old days when you could do a network install, or run from CD. Foxit reader FTW ;)

Advertisement