Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest on the Smashing Pumpkins

Options
  • 03-02-2006 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1523078/20060202/smashing_pumpkins.jhtml?headlines=true

News article on the band at MTV's website. Aparrently Billy and Jimmy are working alone in the studio. James isn't involved as of yet. Still nothing from D'arcy. Loads of rumours going around at the moment. The band playing the Conchella festival one has turned out to be false (no surprise), as has the 'new album is called Drawn and out in April' one.

Latest one is the Pumpkins playing Lollopolooza '06 festival which has a date in Chicago in August (I think). Either way I don't think we'll be hearing from Billy as soon as we thought from his last Myspace posting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

I don't expect James to rejoin and I definitely don't expect D'Arcy to.Billy and Jimmy getting back together doesn't surprise me as there's no bad blood bwetween them, and I assume Melissa Auf der Mar would re-join if she deosn't want to devote more time to her solo career.But that's the only form of pumpkins re-union I can foresee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭munky

I could possible see James coming back, even with the succese of APC.
    Was there bad blood between James and Billy?
    I know D'Arcy was not a happy camper when she left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,040 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

munky wrote:
    I could possible see James coming back, even with the succese of APC.
    Was there bad blood between James and Billy?
    I know D'Arcy was not a happy camper when she left.

D'Arcy's a bit of a drugee these days isn't she? I'd much prefer Melissa Auf Der Mauer anyway. Hmmm without James Iha this wouldn't be much of a reunion, they could just call themselves Zwan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭munky

Hmmm without James Iha this wouldn't be much of a reunion, they could just call themselves Zwan.
    Was just thinking that myself.
    I kinda prefair D'Arcy ouve Auf Der Mer...dunno why, just do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

Fair enough, D'arcy was there first, but Melissa Auf der Maur is a much finer musician. I hope that it's her!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Jaggy Snake

I had a dream I was at a reformed Pumpkins gig last night, and that Corgan was on drums, Iha singing lead vocals while Chamberlin played bass... uhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Melissa Auf Der maur is a Really good musician and the solo album she had out a while back was really good.
    Doubt she Will Do any more with smashing pumpkins, shes recording an album at the moment and plans to tour it.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Check the link I posted, Melissa said she'd be more than willing to fill in for D'arcy on tour. I still think James will be involved. Yeah it wouldn't be much of a reunion if it's just Billy and Jimmy. Although they were always the most influential musicians in the band anyway. Billy especially obviously. No one's really sure what D'arcy is up to these days. Rumours include her running an antiques store or working on her sisters horse ranch (she always loved animals).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I'd be very, very surprised if D'arcy or Iha returned to the fold. I reckon they'll go ahead with Melissa Auf Der Maur on the bass, at least initially. As for Iha, there's reports that Billy Mohler (member of the Chamberlin Complex) is working in the studio with the two remaining Pumpkins, so he stands as a possibility there.

Would really mess up their whole image thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It's not the pumpkins without Iha. D'arcy I can take or leave (well I'd like to see them once with the original line up) but Iha was as important to the sound as the others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

james HAS to come back.or else its not truly a "Pumpkins reunion".:( and although i think melissas a better musician than D'arcy,it would be better for the original line up to be reunited.
    does anyone really know what d'arcys been doing for the last 6 years?(apart from crack):confused: everything seems to be just rumours (like after she left the pumpkins,she was apparently supposed to play a hitwoman in a film opposite mickey rourke??)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Nope, know one seems to know what she's been up to for the last few years. Heard about that film as well but I don't think her being in it ever happened. Like I said before there were rumours that she's running an antiques store or working on her sisters horse ranch but nothing concrete. She went and got plastic surgery as well, her lips are kinda over-sized now. I thought D'arcy was always cool, if a little headstrong and argumentative. But who wouldn't be in a band with Billy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yeah, I heard she went back to her farm. She probably started a family and is living quite comfortably without any hoopla.

It's odd though, six years and there's been no rumblings from her at all, musically or otherwise, apart from a film role which never even cemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

anyone know what the story is with Melissa's album, when's it expected out, or any kind of news about it really, not much on her blog or site about it except for random mentions here and there....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

From mtv.com

"Ever since Billy Corgan announced last summer that he was resurrecting the Smashing Pumpkins, fans have been wondering just who will be joining the revival. So far, we know Corgan's longtime right-hand man, sinewy drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, is on board. But could Eric Avery, the erstwhile bassist for Jane's Addiction, be interested in the slot left vacant by Melissa Auf Der Maur and original bassist D'Arcy Wretzky before her? Perhaps. According to a spokesperson for the Pumpkins' management, Avery "has been rehearsing with [the band] in their pre-production of the new record, but nothing [has been] confirmed in regards to [Avery joining the Pumpkins]." There's no word on whether Corgan has reached out to either original guitarist James Iha or Wretzky to return to the fold, but Auf Der Maur has expressed interest in playing a role in the Pumpkins' return. ..."

Advertisement