Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Laptop, Graphic Help!!!!

Options
  • 03-02-2006 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Which has better graphics?

128Mb Intel Graphics Media Accelerator

V

128 Mb ATi Radeon Xpress 200M Graphics

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Radeon

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Radeon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Although I'd nearly go for the Intel if it's anyway significantly cheaper, both are pretty poor so it makes little difference :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Well, ya see I have a budget of a mamium of 1000 euros. Theres 2 laptops in Pc world with those 2 graphics cards, would that be paying too much, do ye think? All the other requirements are met!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Yes they're both terrible, Im sure for €1k you'd be able to get an Radeon X300 at least. What are your other requirements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

if you could strech another 200, you could get This Travelmate w/128Mb X700, if graphics are important-much better than anything from Pc world(overpriced gangsters)

Well, It will primarily be used for photoshop, illustrator etc. although I would like it to be comfortable to run games. PC World was the only place I looked cos its nearby where I live. Budget is very tight and for €949, they could offer me:

Toshiba L20-198

€949.00

Intel Celeron M 370 Processor 1.5GHz
    400 MHz FSB
    1 Mb Cache
    512 Mb RAM
    40 Gb Hard Drive
    DVD SuperMulti Dual Layer Drives
    15" TFT Display
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    128 Mb ATi Radeon Xpress 200M Graphics
    1 Year FREE Warranty

Weight 2.7 kg
    Height 332 mm
    Width 270 mm
    Depth 36.6 mm

OR

Compaq V4215

€949.00

Intel Celeron M 370 Processor 1.50GHz
    400 MHz FSB
    1 Mb Cache
    512 Mb RAM
    40 Gb Hard Drive
    15.4" widescreen BrightView display
    128Mb Intel Graphics Media Accelerator
    1 year FREE warranty

Optical Drives DVD Writer Dual Format
    CD-ROM Speed 16 x
    CD-RW Speed. 16 x
    DVD-ROM Speed 16 x
    Modem Type 56k
    Wireless Enabled Yes
    No. of USB Connections 2
    Other Interfaces VGA Port
    Battery Type Li-ion
    Battery life (up to) 4 hours
    Weight 2.97 kg
    Height 33.5 mm
    Width 358.5 mm
    Depth 258 mm

Im happy enough with the RAM and hard drive storage offered in both but im not sure about the graphics, ye reckon I could do better elsewhere???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Thats in the laptop shop in Stephens green for €849 the very same spec
    www.thelaptopshop.ie/shop

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Also with extra saved buy a 1gb stick of ddr2 ram. I can play half-life 2 on my Toshiba albeit at low detail....:) battery life is quite low though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

nollaig wrote:
    Well, It will primarily be used for photoshop, illustrator etc. although I would like it to be comfortable to run games.

I don't really think games will run that well on a Celeron. Also, phototshop - don't you need some serious horsepower to run that (I don't know anything about it)? If so, I doubt a Celeron would do the job.

nollaig wrote:
    ye reckon I could do better elsewhere???

PC World are for the uninitiated who are willing to pay quite a premium for the pleasure of walking into a shop and actually seeing what they are purchasing.

Try laptopsdirect.ie or Dell.ie. You will get more for your money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dell and pick the cheap laptops and configure it with 1gb ram and a X300 128mb (important bit).

Yesterday i got FEAR running on one of them in 800x600 on mostly medium settings and it looked lovely and played at 50 FPS.

For a grand a laptopt that plays everything is a great choice, with burner and all the media center features.

Just make sure you knock off the 3 year warranty bit its 300 off.

kdjac

Dell and pick the cheap laptops and configure it with 1gb ram and a X300 128mb (important bit).

Whats the X300???

Thanks so much to everyone helping me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's a graphics card.

Advertisement