Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the North West lost it's charm ?.....

Options
  • 02-02-2006 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Has the North West lost it's charm ?...

I feel that the lifestyle of people in the NW has become more of a rat race, people watch too many TV soaps, and could tell you more about life in 'Coronation Street' than they could about their own neighbours or neighbourhood.

Big new cars, big new houses and ' Keeping up with the Jone's ' materialistically has become the order of the day, and massive debt burdens are taken on without due forethought.

People seem to me, to have become 'citified' and old fashioned visiting your neighbour for a chat and a cup of tea, has practically disappeared in favour of 'watching the box '.

Am I being pessimistic, what do you think ?....

P.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Paddy, you hit the nail on the head. In order to visit some people nowadays you would need an appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

smashey wrote:
    Paddy, you hit the nail on the head. In order to visit some people nowadays you would need an appointment.

Exactly, and have you noticed how many people leave the TV on full blast as they shout over the sound so that you can hear them ?...you would think that their 'remote controls' did not have a sound mute button, really gets on my nerves.

I remember when it was considered polite too 'switch off ' the goggle box, when you had visitors.

Personally, I always mute my TV sound when people call, but now their 'constantly ringing mobile phones' are driving me cuckoo :eek: So much that I now ask certain people to 'switch off' their mobiles when in my house, or they can F off.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have to agree Paddy. It is a bit of a rat race alright and certainly not exclusive to the North West. If anything I thinkthe NW area is probably the friendliest area of Ireland as a whole

The modern age in which we live encompasses all the street corner chats, visits to the neighbours house, etc that have now been sadly lost. You're right about the TV and the phones but they are media and communications items.

The way we communicate or deliver our message nowadays has changed drasticly over the last couple of decades.

And what am I doing here. "Talking" to people so to speak via a PC and internet. Really and truly we are all guilty as our habits too have changed with the times

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's all relative. It's like remembering when a pint used to cost 2 and six and gasping at the price now but your toilet was outside. There are positives and negatives to modern life and it's across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

No, it's still a great place :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Get new neighbours! I can still interrupt mine by knocking on their doors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Thankfully that hasn’t happened down our way yet, enjoy the oul trip home compared to the "rat race" of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

I can still interrupt mine by knocking on their doors!

Most of our neighbours including ourselves only knock on the door as we walk in. There is no such thing as waiting to be invited into a house.
    but in saying that we wouldn't visit each other that often any more.

muffler wrote:
    You're right about the TV and the phones but they are media and communications items.

Maybe it is technology that is having a negative effect. It seems to be taking over everywhere, sure it has an 'upside', but it also has a downside.

Even though people are 'communicating' more, and seeing more via TV/Radio and the PC. Is it really bringing people closer, or pushing them further apart ?..as in : ' Why should I call personally and see my old Grannie, when she is only a 'phone call away'.

To me calling anyone on the phone is not the same as sitting down and listening too them for an hour or two a week, and I am sure they would prefer the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

ahh the days when the door was always open.

But we all can remember the person who always just walked in and overstayed.

I remember as a child we had a neighbour who used to visit and literally take over the tv as well as the fridge. I remember this person being told to make a sandwich for themselves. From that point alli can ever remember is them going straight to the fridge everytime.

Yes the ceile was a good thing, but there was alys over familiarity that annoyed me.

But yes i do remember the bisiting with a smile.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

nanook banned for double posting :D double posting :D

muffler wrote:
    nanook banned for double posting :D double posting :D

Yeah, true,true, but 'But the baby is now 2 days overdue so allowances must be made for the ' overly-anxious Father ' who I have noted is posting on here at extremely early ungodly hours of the morning ;) !.

Still, erratic behaviour amongst expectant fathers is to be expected.

Off topic I know, but a little sympathy for 'nanook' and his family is IMHO appropriate, at this time :eek: .

paddy your back, the north west is manned 24/7 ;)

Its the time i get going for the day.

nanook wrote:
    paddy your back, the north west is manned 24/7 ;)

Its the time i get going for the day.

If it is of any consolation, I well remember when the wife of one of my best buddie's in London way back in the 60's was almost 6 weeks overdue !, .

He was freaking out with worry, so I kept taking him to the pub and getting him totally blotto, as his nerves were wrecked, but lo and behold, we staggered into the hospital one night [against the rules] and he was presented with a bonny bouncing son, and a very happy Mum.

Now the son, is in his forties and I feel 'very old', it's a strange old world Eh ?..;)

Good luck, to you & yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Did you not see it happening as the tourists dewindled and holiday homes soared. Did you not question why we're paying road tax non existant roads and TV licence fees for a dublin media outlet whilst our northern part time residents didn't. Did you vote at the last election and if so, who in gods name will we vote for next time round. Donegal is ruined beyond repair. Best option is to become a politician, get your planning, make money and forget about the goose, golden egg and scenery, quality of life and the such.

Section 4's etc thats what its all about. The backbone of our celtic tiger in Donegal

Advertisement