Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Users/Overclockers - Vcore Fluctuating

Options
  • 02-02-2006 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to OC my FX-60 on this board and am encountering a major problem!
    It seems the Vcore fluctuate wildly with this board!
    Mine, when set at 1.475v fluctuates between 1.44v and 1.502v :eek:

Has anyone else encountered this with this board?

My FX-60 is Prime stable for over 12hrs at 3GHz per core, but due to this Vcore thing I think that it's unsteady at times :( An yI want it to go to 3.1 on air ;)

Vcore readings taken from CPU-Z and also ASUS PC-Probe II.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Should have bought the DFI Expert Wizz.......mine is rock solid, volts bang on the button, only taken it to 1.65V so far (as is on air) but no issues.

I have to say this is far and away the best Mobo I have ever had.

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yeah, didn't have a choice as I got this as a bundle! ;)

The Expert stopped killing CPUs yet? In fairness I haven't read into this too much so it could still be rumour, but that would stop me throwing a €1k CPU into it straight off! ;)

I've come from an SLI-DR where the Vcore never ever fluctuated more than 0.002v :) and now I've gotten this. :( The guts of 0.05v fluctuation!

Pretty sure the new Bios's fixed the fried CPU problem.

me and by Bro both bought one and fired in an X4400+ and an X4800+, everything worked sweet straight out of the bix.

I am waiting on a 600W Seasonic PSU to push my OC further. My current Antec 480W doesn't have the 8pin or the 24pin and this is known to cause issues for a good OC on the Expert. Tho 2.7 form a 4400+ on air is not soo bad ;)

Inqui

2.7 is quite good on a 4400+!

Hmm, also looking at the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe which is supposed to be brilliant overclocker. I couldn't go back to an actively cooled chipset after the Premiums heatpipes.

The 7800GTX 256MB fan totally drowns out the Chipset fan imo........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the m/b. First of all I would NEVER rely on any software for voltage readouts. What you really need to do is get a multimeter and read voltages directly from psu cables to figure out where things are going wrong. If after reading the voltage directly from the psu cables and its still fluctuating wildly it is more than likely a psu issue.

I would like to think it's the PSU but from what I'm reading online it's not. Anandtech support forums have plenty of users with Vcore droop, and I've seen a few reports on XS too. It seems to affect X2 processors the most.
    Although fluctuating PSU lines could cause this issue, bad power phasing on the board could also cause it - even if the PSU lines were rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

back to dfi me thinks :D

i have decided to give the expert another try (my 3rd one is in the post, rma back from komplett).

i suppose u cant beat dfi for overclocking. How do u find the asus a8n sli premium? im getting one for my fx55, hope to get a nice oc with it on air.

I love the premium. This is the first problem I've had with it. Going to try ASUS to see if it could possibly be fixed by a new BIOS :(
    Doubt it though.

Well, bugger it :( :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

WizZard wrote:
    Yeah, didn't have a choice as I got this as a bundle! ;)

The Expert stopped killing CPUs yet? In fairness I haven't read into this too much so it could still be rumour, but that would stop me throwing a €1k CPU into it straight off! ;)

I've come from an SLI-DR where the Vcore never ever fluctuated more than 0.002v :) and now I've gotten this. :( The guts of 0.05v fluctuation!

Th DFI Expert did not kill CPUs, crazy overclockers with DFI Expert boards killed CPUs:D

There was a glitch in the bios if you set a low vcore, and a high vid special it gave the cpu like 2.1vcore:eek: :eek:

But thats fixed now, but why not get a standard slider?? they oc just as good and you need to be an engineer to know what all the settings in the expert do:p

The standard was a bitch in SLI config. Plus that chipset fan is so annoying and can't be easily water/passively cooled.

Yup the Chipset is in a stupid position,

DFI engineer: "Hmmm we ran out of space, where will i put the chipset??"

DFI engineer2: " I know !, lets put it under the graphics card!!"

LOL,

But SLI is grand with the slider, you have to take off 6 jumpers but its not as if you will do it more than a few times in your life

One more bump. This is stopping me from being 3GHz stable for over 12hrs. I've gotten 3GHz stable for 11hrs 39mins until one core craps it - I think because of voltage :(

Anyone any ideas?

You should be happy with 2.8ghz,

2 FX57s:eek: :eek: :eek:

leave it at 2.8ghz and try for 3ghz when you can afford to risk more voltage

It's not the high voltage I'm worried about - it's the drop in voltage that's causing it to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Dude stable for over 10 hours is stable do you not think?

Possibly, but I view voltage fluctuations badly, as all it would take is a larger drop than usual during a (technically) stressful part of a game and it's all over... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Sorry to hear about the vcore problems Wizzard...any luck in sorting it yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

having same problem with my Asus AN8 SLI delux, can only get my 4800 Dual COre to 2.7 stable, the v core is fluctuating like mad !! ;-(

my RAM is fine .... i think

• Advertisement

Wizzard, by the looks of your sig, you have lots of cash:D :D

So, sell the Asus and get a Lanparty Expert, and if you really want to put the icing on the cake, get this:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87719

Special edition Lanparty with aluminium capacitors:eek: :eek:

Comes in a nice box too:p

Flaccus wrote:
    Sorry to hear about the vcore problems Wizzard...any luck in sorting it yet ?
    Nah, no luck. It's fluctuating now a lot. it's a big problem with the Premium and dual core chips. :(

The A8N32 would be the next best thing up there. it's horrific having an FX-60 and not being able to overclock properly.

@conzymaher, I would get the expert but it's insanely priced. And, from the differing reports I've read it's either incredibly good and stable, or incredibly unstabel. I know these reports can be due to n00bs buying it and then expecting it to "plug n play" but if I do buy a new board, it will be the A8N32 - 8 phase PWM. Waiting on a refund from Komplett at the moment so I might buy one with that.
    I'll have to have a think about it.

conzymaher wrote:
    Wizzard, by the looks of your sig, you have lots of cash:D :D
    You're not thinking about it logically Holmes ;)
    According to my sig, I had lots of cash! :D :v:

LOL:D

*off topic*

Whats the nv silencer like??? The stock 7800gt heatsink sounds like a leaf-blower and i cant afford water cooling yet........

The Zalman VF700 looks good also, but doesnt extract heat........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vrodforums

I thought I would add another FX-60 with wild vcore fluctuation on the the A8N32-SLI board. I am going to stick in my FX57 and see if it works correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vrodforums

Well I put in my FX-57 from one of my DFI boards and the same thing, vcore from 1.42-1.58 and load didn't seem to matter. I left the FX-57 in at 3.0 and changed out the neo 550 PS with an extra truepower 500 that I had and the problem with the FX-57 seems to be gone. I will run prime for a while and then switch the FX-60 back in and see if all is good with it.

I purchased this and got the corsair XMS PC3500 2-3-2-6 memory to go with it. So far this board has not given me a warm fuzzy feeling. :)

Advertisement