Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone remember the Super Channel ???

Options
  • 02-02-2006 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭

Remember this was up there with Sky when we all started getting more tv channels etc etc.
    Anyone remember what shows they used to have ?
    I remember watching music/chart type prog. with my sister but thats all I can remember at the moment from it. :confused:

Ciaran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Muckmagnet

yeah , i think i remeber, was it like a blue screen with a guy just talking and then they'd play music videos ??? i remember they had sally jessy rapheal in the morning , it was like a PG version of Jerry Stringer. There used to be a dubbed kinda power rangers rip off thing , i cant remember the name, it was set in the future ,and there was like 5 heros figthing against robots and stuff .
    Weird Channel ..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Is this The one your talking abouthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Channel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Is this The one your talking abouthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Channel

Yes I think this is the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Yeah, it was origionally "music Box" and SuperChannel took it over. Had Nino Feretto, Simon Potter and a heap of "whose he" video jockeys... I have the channel opening on video taken back in 87 I think. In fact I prob have an hour or two across a pile of vhs tapes buried in the attic.
    They used to show Dr Who,and heaps of other stuff before right issues became such a pain to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It later became CNBC on Cablelink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

They used to have Eushyia (not correct spelling) with Clive something.

Back in the day Super and Sky were exotic the channels amongst the terrestrials. Both were choc-a-bloc with program after terrible program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Did Super Channel show the Dutch football on Monday nights or was that the original Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

whoa, didnt know about hte cnbc thing , i thought mucdoch bought it and thats why sky changed their name to British Sky Broadcasting, what with super channels name being BSB . musta been doing a bucha drugs to mess that one up.:D

that said have VERY vague memories of SUPER mainly because it was crap. I DO remember them having a kids show on the saturday to compete with skys "the DJ kat show" (with linda demol:confused::confused: im not sure there but DO remember some blonde dutch honey being on that show :D )
    any way the super one was presented by some prototype of the kid out of "jerry maguire" SERIOUSLY ugly with huge dame endna/timmy mallot type glasses and im pretty sure he was foreign and wore mad coloured cloths.
    sorry i cant remember anymore but TBH the only reason i watched the show was because they use to show ROBOTECH at half seven in the morning (fecking STUPID time, i dont think i got up that early for a cartoon ever again:) ) and then buggered off back to bed.
    great cartoon and recently bought the box sets that were released this year, STILL holds up quite well amazingly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're getting Sky Channel and Super Channel very, very mixed up there ;)

Sky Channel == Sky One
    Super Channel = gone now, was NBC Europe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Didnt they used to play Sally Jesse Raphael in the morning? :D I can still picture the logo they used....

That brings me right back :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

MYOB wrote:
    You're getting Sky Channel and Super Channel very, very mixed up there ;)

Sky Channel == Sky One
    Super Channel = gone now, was NBC Europe.

what was BSB then? i remember there being a HUGE rivalry between them and sky (pre murdoch)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Muckmagnet wrote:
    There used to be a dubbed kinda power rangers rip off thing , i cant remember the name, it was set in the future ,and there was like 5 heros figthing against robots and stuff .
    Weird Channel ..................

That was called 'Voltron'. PowerRangers clearly ripped IT off.

I remember Super Channel anyway. Always looked upon it as a poormans 'Sky Channel' (ah how easily I was impressed back then). It had a lot of bought in rubbish (most of it seemed to be 10-15 years old - even back then!) but I do remember it's the first place I ever saw the REAL Ghostbusters (ie Jake,Eddie et al - not the 'Real Ghostbusters' Venkman and co) and SomeMothersDoAveEm. Ooohh Betty! Ah I liked that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

what was BSB then? i remember there being a HUGE rivalry between them and sky (pre murdoch)

British Satellite Broadcasting. Transmitted on the Marco Polo satellite whereas Sky used the Astra satellite.

You're right, they were a rival to Sky but were bought out by Sky in the early '90's when they were in serious financial trouble, I believe. Hence the rename of the Sky Television network to BSkyB (British Sky Broadcasting) when the buyout took place.

Was the Super Channel broadcast on BSB? :confused: I'm sure someone from the ICDG forum could answer that one better than I could but for some reason I always seem to associate Super with being broadcast on BSB.

More details about BSB here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Satellite_Broadcasting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

xzanti wrote:
    Didnt they used to play Sally Jesse Raphael in the morning?
    Was SJR not on the Lifestyle Channel?

Galaxy and The Power Station were BSB's equivalents of Sky One

Super Channel was not on BSB. BSB had five channels - Now, Galaxy, Power Station, The Movie Channel and The Sports Channel. When Sky merged with them they went to the one set of satelliters and messed around with the channel lineup: Now merged with Sky News; Galaxy with Sky One, Power Station was closed, The Movie Channel was kept until 1998 or so and The Sports Channel became Sky Sports 1.

Sky's package was 4 channels - Eurosport, Sky News, Sky One and, erm, Lifestyle? There was also MTV, Screensport, Super Channel, etc up on the same satellites but not "part of Sky" originally.

I'm "from" the ICDG forums ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Super Channel used to have a quiz called 'Busmans Holiday'. Does anyone remember it? It was brutal but addictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Super Channel used to have a quiz called 'Busmans Holiday'. Does anyone remember it? It was brutal but addictive.
    That was an ITV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

I remember it was a big deal when it launched. Used to show Blakes-7 and Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors (jeeeesus) on saturday mornings.
    Also, anyone remember "Supersonic"? Music show presented by uber-hottie. Can't remember her name.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dj Kat :) and Linda de Mol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

That was an ITV show.

Busman's Holiday was on Super Channel afterwards. They must of bought the concept. I don't know why?

• Advertisement

Dj Kat :) and Linda de Mol :D

She was related to the guy who produced most of the programming on Sky Channel... and gave the world Big Brother :eek: John De Mol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

MYOB wrote:
    She was related to the guy who produced most of the programming on Sky Channel... and gave the world Big Brother :eek: John De Mol.

Yep it's true. She came out of the endemol.

Advertisement