Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep the masses stupid.

Options
  • 01-02-2006 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thememoryhole.org/edu/school-mission.htm

Its intresting read (bit like Brave New World TBH). Would be more intresting to know if this is true in Ireland.

I know from Teacher friends that such "Uber classes" exist, in that a small percentage are given the best schooling while the rest are given mediocore. But I always thought this was due to money from the parents rather then building drones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

I don't know if this would be possible in ireland? Given the size of the US it's at least feasible that a plan as far-reaching as this could have been implemented, (particularly if it was rooted in the early years of the country). but in ireland, there are only, what 4 million? people here, we're very acutely aware of the class divisions that do exist in some places.

Without going all 'round the block, how would this be done now without attracting notice? Conversely, it is obvious that the children of the "captains of industry" will have a significantly better chance of becoming captains of industry themselves, over and above that enjoyed by their compatriots.

Certainly there are shortcomings in the irish system, but if this kind of thing is in motion it's a badly done operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

Personally, I think the biggest problem with the education system in the U.S. is that a lot of the book are sponsored by corporations. I the book "Fast Food Nation" there is mention of a school book sponsored by Exxon which stated that chopping down rainforests was not damaging to the environment???? How can kids have a rational view of the world when they are being taught rubbish in school

Don't have enough info on the states education system to comment on that, but have you noticed how the news over there is basically a short series of special effects with as many controversial buzzwords as can be squeze into a few seconds, "Terrorist explosions at eleven!"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If a teacher can't keep the standerds up to a high level, sack them. The parents pay a high price, so they expect high results. The school only hires the best, and thus brings out the best.

Or you can teach the same to everyone, and wonder why some lag behind, fall between the cracks... sure, its the same program, shouldn't everyone remember the same way, operate the same way?:rolleyes::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Pah esskay shows what you know.

Chopping down tree's is good for the environment, tree produce CO2 and we all know that's whats causes greenhouse effects, less tree's less CO2 therefore greenhouse effect.

Well at least thats how I saw it argued on the DOD forums a good while back by some US student.

• Advertisement

Chopping down tree's is good for the environment, tree produce CO2 and we all know that's whats causes greenhouse effects, less tree's less CO2 therefore greenhouse effect.

Well at least thats how I saw it argued on the DOD forums a good while back by some US student.

erm....was this sarcasm? You know that trees absorb CO2 by day replacing it with O2 right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

That O2 stuff is just as bad :rolleyes:

note the last line on the previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

That O2 stuff is just as bad :rolleyes:
    Pure oxygen is explosive. Trees are terrorists, George Bush delcares war, et cetera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

What that article seemed to imply was that the ruling classes in America have a fundamental fear of the working classes. There are more of them, and if they were to become educated, they might threaten the status quo.

America isn't unique in using the educational system for this purpose. The development of school systems in Europe played, and I suppose continue to play the same role.

Of course it's not so obvious now, as the kinds of things John Dewey said back then are more couched in medical terms - ADD anyone? Who could ever disagree with a man or woman in a white coat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

I should clarify, by "chopping down" i meant "wholesale destruction of, resulting in no rainforest"
    Also....
    I just read George Orwell's book 1984. It is amazing how it seems to get more and more relevant with each passing year. In the U.S. the police/feds can search you house, take whatever they want, bug it if they want, and have no legal obligation to tell you they were there, or tell you what they took. For anyone who has not read 1984, read it!! It is a scarily accurate picture of where this planet could very easily end up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

If anyone keeps the masses stupid, it's the masses. Of course, that's because they're too stupid to know they're stupid in the first place so maybe it should be the position of the more educated to enlighten them.

Most people who do well in education do so because of the home enviroment they grow up in rather than the education they recieve. If you live in a house where reading is encouraged and academic performance is valued then you will respond to this.

If you don't, then only a very determind personality will make the best of the resources they're exposed to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement