Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba laptop - broken screen

Options
  • 01-02-2006 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I've just enquired from Toshiba about the cost of replacing the LCD screen and it sounds like it would be expensive - anything from approx Є300 - Є800 and this is not including the estimation fee of Є110.

Does anyone know of anywhere that I could get this done for less?
    Or is it a better option to get it done through the manufacturer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

When you say broken do you mean that the screen itself is physically cracked or is it that there is just no image coming up?
    If it's the latter then most likely the whole screen wouldn't need replacement. Have a look at the screen when you switch on the laptop and see if you can see the image faintly on the screen, tilting it to the light or using a flashlight might help you see it. If this happens to be the case then it's your backlight and/or inverter that are probably gone which might not be the hardest thing for you to replace yourself if you're so inclined.
    A quick search brought up this guide here, it probably isn't your model of laptop but gives you the general idea.
    What model is the laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 patchouli

Thanks for the reply, Paul and that link that you posted -some handy info there. .

It's definitely completely gone :( - it had a fall and the screen itself is actually smashed from the inside.

The model is Toshiba Satellite A30-212.

The support guy said that there it could be any one of seven possiblities as to the correct replacement screen - I would have to bring it in to them and have it opened up to determine this.
    If it turned out that the correct screen was at the more expensive end of the scale that he quoted, I'd have to just opt out - way too expensive !

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Ouch, expensive. Maybe what you should do is try to open the laptop up (I take it that it's out of warranty anyway) and find the sticker on the LCD that has the part number on it. That way you'd save yourself the estimation fee and know for sure which replacement screen you need and how much it will cost by ringing the guy back.
    I found another guide that might help here that shows a Satellite having its screen removed.
    I understand that you're looking for an easier and less expensive way then going to the manufacturer but unfortunately the screen is going to be expensive whatever way you go about it. The cheapest option is to source the screen and replace it yourself (not that difficult really if your up to the task).
    One word of warning, the event that resulted in the LCD screen being damaged may also have caused damage to other components so if you're opening it take a look at the rest of the parts while in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 patchouli

pauln wrote:
    . . .
    I found another guide that might help here that shows a Satellite having its screen removed.
    . . .
    Great link.
    And thanks a mil for all the advice. :)

Advertisement