Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell X1 Laptop Keyboard Removal.

Options
  • 01-02-2006 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Ok so I have to replace my keyboard on my Dell X1, I have taken out the screws that hold it in ok , now I am able to lift up the keyboard to remove it. The only problem is that its connected to a cable where one end is taped to the keyboard and the other is connected to the motherboard, now does anyone have any ideas on how to remove this keyboard. Do I take off the tape or remove the cable connection to the motherboard.

I have included pics below, anyones advice is welcome guys thanks.

10000570rj.th.jpg

10000581tp.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Hi Williem D,

DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THAT TAPE FROM THE KEYBOARD - that will cause damage to the fpc cable on the keyboard. Also the cable is intergrated into the keyboard ie it is not removeable..

To remove the keyboard.... disconnect it from the motherboard using either a black plastic stick to release the claspes on the connector, be carefull not to break them.

Daz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Thanks Daz mate , you see I am replacing the keyboard because it has been damaged. So what you are saying is to release it from the motherboard by releasing the connector, its just that its pretty hard to release thats why I was unsure.

Yeah thats it Willem,

basicly if you release the claspe either side of the keyboard cable it will push forward on both sides and the keyboard can be removed then.

Daz

Cool thanks man , I will let you know how it turns out.

Cheers again daz, I just tryed it and it worked a treat , your a genious. I just got a bit nervous as to what to do.

Thanks again Daz.

Willem D.

• Advertisement

No worries ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Sry double post

Hi Willem D

I'm thinking of getting an X1 and was hoping you could give me your general opinion on it and answer a couple of questions.

Is the screen and keyboard noticably larger than the 10 inch vaio?
    Does it sit on the lap comfortably for surfing?
    How long did you have it before the fault ocurred?

I mostly use for surfing emailing and bringing it to work to work on excel would it be suitable as one's main laptop as I have a desktop too?

Thanks

Its quality and well worth buying, I am very happy with it. The keyboard was my fault not dells, the laptop sits perfect on my lap. So it gets a thumbs up from me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

How did you get the replacement keyboard?

• Advertisement

I rang the dell technical support, they hooked me up with a new one but having to deal with Indian call centre's are a nightmare.

Willem D wrote:
    I rang the dell technical support, they hooked me up with a new one but having to deal with Indian call centre's are a nightmare.

Hehe hate it when they do that.

Sorry to bug you again Willem D but can can you tell me if you can comfortably surf a couple of hours with the x1 on your lap without it being too hot (my p4 2.8 is both hot and heavy ;) )?
    I surf and watch telly at the same time.
    And can you read text on the small screen easily?

Really want this to be the right one for me but still holding off on the purchase.
    Thanks again.

I could come home and surf the web with the laptop on my lap whilst watching tv, without it getting very hot at all. Screen size never bothered me tbh , I have good sight so the size of the writing don't bother me either.

Advertisement