Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD Raptor X 150GB

Options
  • 31-01-2006 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/283/1/

These will be on sale from Komplett soon for a 30yoyo premium on the normal one. Could look very good integrated into a well-modded case............ (brain whirring)

Inqui

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Whats really needed is some sort of see through external hd enclosure that'll sit on your desk and really impress people ;)

I dunno about sitting a 10,000rpm drive on your desk, could cause all sorts of vibrations. Tbh though I can just imagine looking back on this in 5 years time thinking wow thats oldschool, my completely transparent hd with flashy lights puts it to shame :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I dunno about sitting a 10,000rpm drive on your desk, could cause all sorts of vibrations

Nah, it would be fine as they are balanced fairly well. even 15k is tolerable, its the head movement that makes the racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

long-term thermal issues anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Seems that and the vibration issues were hardest to crack, but it comes with their standard warranty, so.................

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Ah yeah, I wouldn't reckon it'll have thermal issues, but only time will tell. Stranger things have happened.
    I can imagine it looking well in a few mods, but I don't see the cost/benefit ratio appealing to (even) me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

WizZard wrote:
    but I don't see the cost/benefit ratio appealing to (even) me ;)

yeh i have to agree there :)

You have 2 WD 36Gig Raptors, which when new would have cost close to this price for half the storage. You only pay an extra 30yoyos to get the X model rather than the standard....thats a few pints in town.......

If you are gonna buy a 150gig Raptor, paying the extra seems reasonable to me.

Inqui

Well because the Raptors run loud and hot, when compared to other SATA drives, modders tend to enclose them in cooling/silencing caddies.

Not much good having a see through drive casing in a closed box.

PC Noise is not a driving factor for me.

Only the Intel Reference Heatsink has ever driven me mad.....

.....however I do take all sensible precautions to minimise sound......Zalman 120mm Fan Heatsinks, Watercooling, only Pabst 120mm Case Fans etc etc.

I have to say I was suprised by the noise the WD Raptor I just bought kicks out, not so much rotational noise as read / write clicking noises.

I also bought one of Syxpaks recommended Sata Ninja Stealth drives which actually, while 400GB, is quieter and quicker than the Raptor.

Inqui

I just like the idea of modding one of them into the new stacker or Mountain Mods case I will soon be attacking with my Dremel.

inqui

The mountain mod case is steel so will eat Dremel cutting discs for breakfast! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Yeah these look good alright but tbh 36 or 74gb is loads if your gonna just use it for an OS get 300gb+ for storage

Inquitus wrote:
    You have 2 WD 36Gig Raptors, which when new would have cost close to this price for half the storage. You only pay an extra 30yoyos to get the X model rather than the standard....thats a few pints in town.......

If you are gonna buy a 150gig Raptor, paying the extra seems reasonable to me.

Inqui

i got these raptors 2nd hand, i also wouldnt buy raptors new as i think they are too expensive also ;)

gline wrote:
    i got these raptors 2nd hand, i also wouldnt buy raptors new as i think they are too expensive also ;)
    Ditto :)

gline wrote:

Got mine 2nd hand too :D

Inquitus wrote:

it seems to be the trend on boards.ie :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Inquitus wrote:
    PC Noise is not a driving factor for me.

Only the Intel Reference Heatsink has ever driven me mad.....

.....however I do take all sensible precautions to minimise sound......Zalman 120mm Fan Heatsinks, Watercooling, only Pabst 120mm Case Fans etc etc.

I have to say I was suprised by the noise the WD Raptor I just bought kicks out, not so much rotational noise as read / write clicking noises.

I also bought one of Syxpaks recommended Sata Ninja Stealth drives which actually, while 400GB, is quieter and quicker than the Raptor.

Inqui

I just like the idea of modding one of them into the new stacker or Mountain Mods case I will soon be attacking with my Dremel.

inqui
    the Samsungs?

One of mine *appears* to be making some unsettling noises - probably from when I wheeled the case across tarmac to a cab. Pity it's in raid0 - going to have to buy another pair of drives to hold the stuff while I rma the snuffing.

-=General Question=-
    Anyone know how to monitor smart data on a hdd in an nVidia NF4 raid array? Or indeed any hdd/array health info in general?
    ...aside from turning off the array, turning on smart data in the bios and rebooting with a 3rd party utils disc that is....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

-=General Question=-
    Anyone know how to monitor smart data on a hdd in an nVidia NF4 raid array? Or indeed any hdd/array health info in general?
    ...aside from turning off the array, turning on smart data in the bios and rebooting with a 3rd party utils disc that is....

speedfan should do it

SyxPak wrote:
    -=General Question=-

It's not possible. The NF4 RAID chipset doesn't provide the SMART passthrough :(

Some expensive separate RAID controller cards do - if it's that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Inquitus wrote:

Second-hand hard disks? Hope you don't have anything too important on it...

70% of my HD's have been 2nd Hand, and in 7 years I have never lost 1 iota of data,

Inqui

• Advertisement
Advertisement