Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT Security Concerns

Options
  • 31-01-2006 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what security issues would be surrounding the use of NAT. Just for testing purposes I have my home machine running apache and I can connect to it from work thru my router at home. Happy days.

So what can be done to beef up the security of that connection - especially if I run a mysql db on the home machine. How open to attack am I with *just* Norton Internet Security running on the "server" (home) pc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

For a start

-Get a hardwre router and open only the ports(port forwarding) you need for mysql and apachie.

-Move the default mysql port (not bril)

-If you plan to manage mysql remotely open the port if not leave it blocked.

-To be honest the only way id set this up would be using open VPN or Hamachi to access local services(except apachie) and that you will only need to open the apachie server port to the world.

-For an easy life hamachi a reasonable router and a nice software firewall like sygate is the easy way and it would be extreamly hard to mess with and you have the advantage of 256bit encryption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

hamachi looks interesting! cheers for that NutJob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Good for lan games over net (wan games) a real test of ping and stability

at the moment its one of my new toys

Advertisement