Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Monitors with Laptop?

Options
  • 31-01-2006 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Searched for the answer to this, no conclusive answers.

My question is this. Is there a laptop, or laptop in conjunction with a base station, that will run dual monitors (extending the desktop over the 2 monitors)? The laptop screen does not need to be on (i am not trying to run the laptop screen plus dual monitors).

I know lots of laptops, can use the laptop's screen in conjunction with a seperate monitor, which is what i'll do if the above isnt possible... Just want to keep the configuration of 2 identical monitors side by side, rather than 1 large screen and one laptop screen.

thnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Could you use a combination of the normal monitor output and the TV S-video output to hook up two screens and adjust Xp to split the desktop across them?
    I'm not even sure if this could be done, is the monitor output and the TV S-video output the same feed? Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Thnx for the reply...

The main problem i have is trying to find out what outputs and combinations of outputs can be used on laptop docking stations. I am looking to buy a new laptop and docking station. The manufacturers are vague about the docking stations. Some mention like you suggested, that they have s-video, vga and dvi outs, but they dont really mention in what combinations they can be used... I mean you might be able to use the vga and the dvi out at the same time (which seems probable). I just dont know...

Ok, just had a quick look around and as far as Dell is concerned what people tend to do is install an extra PCI video in the PCI expansion slot in the docking station. Then connect the first monitor to this and the second to the normal docking stations monitor output.
    See here.
    Do you have a particular brand/model of laptop in mind, and a preference over VGA or DVI monitor outputs? It would be easier to discuss a workable solution knowing this as each manufacturer will have a different setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Thnx for info...

Really i was looking to see what can be done before purchase.

But the fact that some docking stations have pci slots i find very interesting, and looks like it would be the easiest solution.

Ya I know that on the older range of dell docking stations there was one basic version and another that had PCI expansion slots. You could insert your PCI card in the slot and it would be detected by the docked laptop and install like on a desktop.
    I don't know what the new range of dell docking stations have but I'd imagine they have a similar setup and other manufacturers are probably along the same lines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement