Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

energy efficient heaters

Options
  • 31-01-2006 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

last weekend I was hit badly by my ESB of a whopping 635 Euro, which I have figured out comes from the horrible electro heaters in my place.
    the main issue of the price is because the storage heaters don't seem to be working and we have to heat with the boosters, which are killers in terms of wattage from what I have heard.

I am now looking for a heating solutionfor my place, which could remedy this matter.

Gas and oil heating is not an option as the place is not fitted for that.

any ideas?

thanks in advance for the help

Gilgamesh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Is there such a thing as an energy-efficient heater?

It doesn't matter what technology you use, you are still converting electrical energy to heat energy. OK - I accept that you have minor differences in terms of electrical-to-light (and -to-other) energy conversion, but theres ultimately very very little (if any) difference in terms of energy efficiency.

Storage heaters are more cost efficient because they use cheaper night-time electricity, but they aren't more energy efficient than other forms of heater.

I would suggest that if you're stuck with electricity, then you can't beat storage heaters on cost....but they also have the largest up-front investment. If the ones you have aren't working, then replace them.

From the other options, its then just a question of whether you want something that heats fast and supplies a short, sharp burst of heat, or something that works more gradually, or something in-between.

Also, make sure you have decent insulation or you're just wasting your time and money no matter what option you go for.

Advertisement