Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to choose a new Power Supply

Options
  • 31-01-2006 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my AMD64 rig with a new gfx card (PCI-E) which means a new motherboard and PSU.

I was initially going to select the Thermaltake Silent Purepower 680w, but I'd like some opinions from other boardsters.

Basically it'll be going into a Thermaltake Xaser III case, replacing an Antec 480w PSU along side a DVD-rom drive, DVD-RW, Audigy Platinum (with the extension drive-bay thingy) & a zip drive. I'm not going to be running an SLI configuration at least for the foreseeable future, and I'm not running a RAID array, although I will be adding an additional SATA hard-drive.

Requirements I'm looking for a solid, stable throughput from the PSU rails, decent ventilation ability, no modular cabling, and above all, quiet running.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

seasonic have come out tops in a load of reviews. Seem to be great PSU's... custom pc did a round up of about 20 psu's n it came out tops... www.custompc.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Seasonic would be the quietest, and have great power output due to their incredibly high efficiency.
    Tagan, BeQuiet and Enermax would be other contenders. I think Antec include SmartFan technology in their new units which shoud keep the noise down.

Komplett do the Seasonic 500W and 600W. I would recommend OCZ PSUs also, they're excellent, if a tad expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Cheers guys - I'll check out Seasonic. If I could find an Antec or Enermax with a good performance and no modular cabling I'd possibly go for it, since my last two PSUs were Enermax & Antec and I never had a peep out of them.

But alas, modular cabling seems to be all the rage. I don't like it. Yes your inner-case will look prettier, but also means that if a connector on the PSU is not solid you're not going to get reliable, steady voltage. Damaged components potentially.

That Seasonic 600w beastie is looking very tempting - seems to have scored very very highly in the CustomPC try-out. Must do some googling to finish up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think you're being a bit paranoid about the modular connectors. Looking at the ones on my hiper 580w, there's no way they could come off without being deliberately removed. They're aviation type screw/lock on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Stephen wrote:
    I think you're being a bit paranoid about the modular connectors. Looking at the ones on my hiper 580w, there's no way they could come off without being deliberately removed. They're aviation type screw/lock on things.

What's that electrical buzzing noise? :v:

True, but in any case, having done some googling that Seasonic seems to be comign up with very favourable reviews so I think I'm going to plump for one of those beasties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Fortron. No contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Nah - Seasonic seems to be top o the tree at the moment. Tom's Hradware - Anandtech - Custom PC etc etc

The whole world can't be wrong.

Inqui

Inquitus wrote:
    The whole world can't be wrong.
    :v:
    The world is flat!! Flat, I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Go for the seasonic, and never buy another thermaltake product.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

on the topic of PSU's, what would i need to power my fx 55 rig with 6800?? would would people recommend (cheap psu). a 350watt fotran? would that do the job? bearing in mind i will be ocing everything in it quite a lot :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

gline wrote:
    on the topic of PSU's, what would i need to power my fx 55 rig with 6800?? would would people recommend (cheap psu). a 350watt fotran? would that do the job? bearing in mind i will be ocing everything in it quite a lot :D

NO:D

You will need a good PSU especially for an overclocked A64 rig, The words PSU and BUDGET and OVERCLOCK should never be in the same sentance:D :D

Try a enermax liberty or something like that, around the €100 mark

You will need strong 12v rails if you will be overclocking the GPU, my liberty has 2*12v rails at 22amps each, where as that forton probably has 1 12v rail at 14amps which isnt enough.

Get a quality one and it will last years;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

That Thermaltake 680PSU is class, have one myself. Hoping to get the new version that has 52A on 12V rails.

This is a pretty damn exhaustive test of the current crop of PSU's by a very reputable review site.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/11/stress_test/

Make up your own mind, but clearly they reckon the Seasonic 600W is best in class.

Inqui

That Thermaltake 680PSU is class, have one myself. Hoping to get the new version that has 52A on 12V rails.
    It doesn't. It'll say it does, but it won't deliver - or if it delivers then some other part will be shot to crap.
    That's what Thermaltake do with their power supplies.

WizZard wrote:
    It doesn't. It'll say it does, but it won't deliver - or if it delivers then some other part will be shot to crap.
    That's what Thermaltake do with their power supplies.

I second the motion. thermaltake PSU's = POS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Id like a PC Power & Cooling 850 or 1KW myself.
    Currently have a HiperPower 580 which was a definate improvement over the Antec 480 TruBlue (a good PSU too). I see the Hiper (not quite my model) failed the Toms Hardware test not on the grounds of insufficent power, but rather too high voltage on the -12v line. Ill have to check mine later, cant be too good for the mobo.

Matt

My Bro has the PCP&C 1KW, great PSU but very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Matt Simis wrote:
    Id like a PC Power & Cooling 850 or 1KW myself.
    Currently have a HiperPower 580 which was a definate improvement over the Antec 480 TruBlue (a good PSU too). I see the Hiper (not quite my model) failed the Toms Hardware test not on the grounds of insufficent power, but rather too high voltage on the -12v line. Ill have to check mine later, cant be too good for the mobo.

Matt

i have to recomment the pc p+c 1kw, it is actually really good and quiet enough. ample juice and connectors :)

:eek: I can't believe the OCZ PSU failed that test! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Advertisement
Advertisement