Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compatability Issue

Options
  • 31-01-2006 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have Visual Studio 2005 on my laptop but my college labs have Visual Studio.net.

Does anyone know of a way of converting Visual Studio 2005 files into a Visual Studio.net format, so that I can work on projects at home and then bring them into college??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

No I don't think there is, I've even had problems using the same project between 2005 Beta and 2005 release. Part of the problem is that some of the generated code will be incompatible. The rest of the problem is that VS 2005 uses the .Net Framework 2 which has new features not present in VS 2002 (.Net 1.0) or VS 2003 (.Net 1.1).

If the code you write is all going to be .Net 1.x compliant, you'll probably be able to maintain 2 different versions of you're project, one for 2005 and one for the previous version, and just copy your source files between them. Where possible create new files in the old version and then copy them across, for e.g. with windows forms classes older versions put all the generated code in the same file you code in, say form1.vb, whereas VS 2005 uses partiall classes to put generated code in form1.designer.vb while your code goes in form1.vb. I nearly sure the VS2005 deigner can parse the older style, but I'm not sure if the older versions can parse the newer style.

Advertisement