Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homebrew on PSP

• 31-01-2006 3:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the craic is with homebrew on the PSP? All I can find is outdated info.. I can listen to my MP3s on PSP as standard yeah? What about watching divx movies, emulators, web/email browsing and ebooks (expecially pdfs maybe?)?

Is the whole thing still in it's infancy or anyone got some good links?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

It's quite simple. I borrowed a friend's one yesterday and had it running some homebrew in no time having never used a PSP before. Granted, his is a 2.01 firmware and luckily he had GTA so the gamesave hack is a doddle. I'm sure the other hacks are not too difficult though. You'll have to get a USB cable for it as well.

1.5 firmware seems to be the most stable and compatible for homebrew and will run most homebrew*. The GTA hack used for v2.01 psps has some limitations so it will not run everything (yet). You can downgrade from v2.x to v1.5 firmware ands use the better exploits but then I dont think GTA will work.

The GTA hack replaces a savegame with an exploit so when you load it, the PSP crashes, then loads up a menu application called eloader for booting your homebrew.

* I could be wrong about that...I think v2.00 might be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Homebrew on the PSP is quite advanced at this stage and most of what silverlining has said is true. You might want to check out www.psp-hacks.com to read up on it further or to download aps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Homebrew on the PSP, lots of discussion of this already on the Playstation forum. You are limited in homebrew on psp by whatever firmware version you are running. If you have anything ABOVE v2.0 then you are pretty much screwed.

At the moment the best Firmware to have is v1.0. This is very rare to find as it was only ever released with the origional Japanese release. V1.5 was introduced with the US Release (and the Jap 1.5 Update). v1.5 is the best to have as it allows you to run UMD Emulators and pretty much any homebrew without a bother [using the Kexploit].

If you have v1.5x then you cannot run homebrew. However if you have v2.0 then you can make use of a .tiff buffer overflow exploit and use a workaround/hack to install v1.5 Firmware and therefor allowing you to download a 2.0 to v1.5 without a problem.

Using a discovered GTA SaveGame exploit you can load a limited number of Homebrew applications on v2.0 however these are very limited and you are unable to load UMD Loaders etc.

Im not too sure on the status of v2.x Firmwares but some do work with Fanjita's GTA Savegame exploit. Check pspupdates, psp-hacks etc. And also take a look at the Playstation Forum.

The latest firmware on the PSP is v2.5 I believe. If you have v2.0 firmware I would stongly reccomend you NOT to update any further for the moment [providing you wish to use homebrew]

Thanks for the extra (correct :) ) info Achilles and Winters. I mentioned downgrading from v2.x to 1.5 but that only works for v2.0 not v2.01, 2.5 or 2.6.

The fanjita GTA gamesave hack is cool enough but as Winters pointed out it only runs a very limited number of apps at the moment. Dgen seems to work very smoothly (sonic the hedgehog 2 rom) but there's no sound. Uosnes has sound but it runs very slowly, I've heard that TYL snes works better but it doesnt work with the fanjita hack.

I'm new to the PSP (I dont actually own one) and I would buy one but the memory sticks are ludicrously expensive as far as I can tell. I saw a 1Gig memstick on sale for €100 is that correct? is there any way to get cheaper memory?
    Oh yeah, is there any other apps I should look at once fanjita is updated...for example, is there a benefit in using a homebrew mediaplayer over the built in one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Winters wrote:
    At the moment the best Firmware to have is v1.0. This is very rare to find as it was only ever released with the origional Japanese release.
    Are you serious? I had one of those and upgraded it.

• Advertisement

Talisman wrote:
    Are you serious? I had one of those and upgraded it.
    Ahh man that sucks. I ended up swapping my 2.01 PSP for a 2.00 firmware with one of the kids in a youth group that I help run. Hehe. Ahhh well was worth it for the homebrew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

OK so I just bought one and its running v2.6 .. What can I do ? Nowt ?

v10 wrote:
    OK so I just bought one and its running v2.6 .. What can I do ? Nowt ?
    Pretty much... unless you have GTA:LCS, you can use a hacked gamesave to run SOME homebrew but not much... www.psp-hacks.com

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

try this and let let us all know if it works for you.
    http://www.psp-hacks.com/psp-homebrew-tutorial.php

Try the Bière d'Alsace auto installer here: http://www.fanjita.orgVery easy to use, it will apply the correct version for your PSP, all you have to do is connect the PSP in USB mode, tell it what firmware you have and away you go. It will also install the tiff exploit for earlier firmware versions

• Advertisement
Advertisement