Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRMA Woes

Options
  • 30-01-2006 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,
    Just wondering does anybody know anyone that has received a caution or prosecution letter from the irma ? If you do, please contact me either in this thread or via pm (if you wish to remain anonymous). If you have no idea what I'm talking about, please checkout http://www.irma.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

Definitely an interesting subject, someone must know somebody :)

Be looking forward to finding out what they said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I know someone who recieved a call a few months back from esat with regards to there downloading a sony movie. Quite spooked them as you can imagine, but for them (and you may be different since its not the isp by the sounds of things) it was a case of cease there activities and if they where reported again there connection would be terminated.

I'm curious myself as to what will happen to people who's connections are been leeched, I know of one serial downloader who's using an open connection in their apartment block, that would be quite the nasty surprise for the supplier of said connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Just wondering if PeerGuardian is suitable protection against people snooping what I'm downloading...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I wouldn't count on that. Since peerguardian is only blocking access to your machine. Its not actually hiding you, you may not be sending data to the nodes spying but the fact that they attempt to connect means they are at the very least aware of you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Well it would depend on how the p2p software advertises clients on its network, they may just have picked a random-ish IP address to scan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭klash

Actually a lot of people i know use the IRMA site.

http://www.irma.ie/best2005.htm

Handy to know whats worth buying ....

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Just reading the IRMA site, and I spotted this little gem:
    Lobbying at industry, political, civil service, Irish Government and EU levels to protect and enhance the interest of member companies.

Sounds like and Irish RIAA to me, although more tactful in its handling of piracy issues. Suffice to say, I neither download nor upload music save for buying songs on iTunes.

I also could not help but notice that all the online music stores, except iTunes, recommended by the IRMA for Ireland, wont let you into the site if you are not using Internet Explorer. A real kick in the balls for non-windows users.
    At least iTunes can be made to work under Linux with wine. *sigh* when will these people learn *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Sounds like and Irish RIAA to me, although more tactful in its handling of piracy issues.
    Yah right :):D
    I guess you missed their other nugget of wisdom whereby they said they weren't going to focus on people ripping CDs to put on their mp3 players for the moment. The arrogance is overwhelming.

Advertisement