Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring ATA interface into house telephone network

Options
  • 29-01-2006 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I'm getting a sparks to some rewiring. Part of the work is to replace the telephone wiring for better DSL signals. The thought occured to me that perhaps if I switch to NTL in the future I should look into using VOIP.

Is it possible to have a setup wired in which the house network could be setup with simple patch cable, to switch between analogue phone connection and ATA connection to the rest of the house?

Eg

(Patch switch)
    Eircom line
    \

House telphone sockets

ATA Interface (from broadband)----

Anyone done this?

Thanks,
    LK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Currently you have a line coming in which conects to eircom master socket (has a ring capacitor in it) all other sockets are daisy chained off it.

--line in---> "eircom master socket" ---> all other sockets in house

suggested alternative

--line in---> "eircom master socket" <gap> "new socket" ---> all other sockets

i.e. the eircom connection no longer goes any further than the master socket
    right beside it you've put a new socket which is connected to all the other sockets in the house to form a chain.

To activate eircom plug a straight piece of cable between the master socket and the new socket. (i.e. bridge the gap)

To activate ATA setup, disconnect cable from master socket and plug it into ATA instead.

N.B. actually you can connect either the ATA or Eircom line into any socket in your chain, not just the first one.

If however you connect both at the same time the Eircom voltage will most likely fry the ATA.
    If you consider the new socket to be an 'input' socket and only ever connect to that, than you can't ever make the mistake of trying to connect both.

WARNING the Eircom voltage will remain on the line even after it has been disconnected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭lzbones

What I use for this is a ZOOM DSL modem/router/ATA

phone line
    ZOOM modem/router/ATA
    3 x phones

A single phone line goes into the ZOOM and a single phone line goes out of the ZOMM. The 3xphones are split with a standard extension box ie. they are all on the same line. If you want to switch to VOIP line just press # and dial as normal, otherwise call goes out on eircom line. Phones ring if a call is VOIP/Eircom. And it's great for qulaity of service no call interruptions if I'm surfing at the same time. You can see a nice diagram here - http://support.freespeech.ie/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=42

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Currently you have a line coming in which conects to eircom master socket (has a ring capacitor in it)

Is that inside or outside the house?

Thanks
    LK

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

it's inside the house, If there is only one socket then that it is it, otherwise is should be the first socket that is connected to the line where it comes into the house. Though if there's been diy work done, then who knows.

Basically 1 socket is supposed to be a master socket. It has a capacitor. It is charged from the line voltage and as far as I know puts that charge onto a third wire, which is used to make old fashioned phones ring.

All additional sockets don't need capacitors as they're all connected to the first one. Well that's the theory, in practice it doesn't matter, the third wire isn't even connected in most sockets anymore as new phones don't need it.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~leslie/testpage/wiring.htm#sockets

also fyi

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280577

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

it's inside the house, If there is only one socket then that it is it, otherwise is should be the first socket that is connected to the line where it comes into the house. Though if there's been diy work done, then who knows.

I know for definite in my parents house it is outside (white box) and it connects to the three inside the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

paulm17781 wrote:
    I know for definite in my parents house it is outside (white box) and it connects to the three inside the house.
    This could be assumed for all new builds could it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Eurorunner wrote:

My parents house is about 11 years old. I would think anything more modern would be much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭KeithMur

Eurorunner wrote:

Before it was the line ---> master socket (with capicitor) ---> other sockets

But now as no capacitor is needed to ring the new type analogue phones eircom can connect all your cables in the white box to their line coming in. This is their demarkation point.

Originally in my house the line was daisy chained around three sockets, with my dsl router connected on the third socket which meant that there was some decrease in the performance with other phones plugged in (with the filters) before my dsl modem. What I did was connect the line the whole way through on the white/blue cable (i.e. connecting the white/blue pairs on the cable behind every socket to the other one on the daisy chain) then when I got to my dsl splitter I sent the line back on the white/orange pair daisy chained to the sockets. It definetly improved the line quality on both the dsl and the voice.

Thats just an idea for youse

Advertisement