Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to VOIP

Options
  • 29-01-2006 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

I know everything i need to know about switching to voip, And how to configure it etc. as i've allready got internal Voip Setup

However, I wan't to switch to blueface and port my phonenumber, Do i still have to pay for my landline in order to keep my eircom broadband. Its Really Confusing,

Thanks
    Digiking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

'fraid so.

If you use Eircom for your DSL, you need to keep your line (and your number) with them. You can only port if you use cable or wireless for your broadband.

You can still use Blueface for your calls, which would be cheaper than Eircon anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Thinking of doing this myself,
    Will I lose my house number or can I get the calls forwarded to my Blueface number as Im getting rid of the home line and going for wireless broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Originally Posted by GaRtH_V
    Thinking of doing this myself,
    Will I lose my house number or can I get the calls forwarded to my Blueface number as Im getting rid of the home line and going for wireless broadband.

No, you don't have to loose your number.

Best way is:
    Open an account with BlueFace (or whoever) and get an ATA.
    Use it for a month or so to make sure you're happy.
    Get the form from BlueFace to port your existing number.
    After 4-6 weeks, BF will notify you that number has been ported.
    Cancel your Eircom line, if it hasn't been done automatically as part of the porting.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

is it possible that eircom could be forced to seperate DSL and Phone into to seperate services, in order for other companies to get into market,

I really need to kill the landline, its costing me a small fortune

Digiking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

digiking wrote:
    is it possible that eircom could be forced to seperate DSL and Phone into to seperate services, in order for other companies to get into market,

Digiking

Line unbundling isn't big in this country. In some exchanges you can get a BT business line, then you just pay BT the data charge per month, no traditional voice. Any other options available to you? Smart, wireless, cable?

If you were Eircom would you give up all that line rental without a fight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

digiking wrote:

Digiking

If you're spending too much on Eircon look at Smart or BT. BT line rental and BB packages are good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Any advice on how to port my existing number to blueface while I move to smart for broadband. Currently have line and BB with eircom.

The ultimate aim is to move to smart without loseing access to my existing phone number.

Advertisement