Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you pick up rubbish on the street?

Options
  • 29-01-2006 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭

When I am out walking i always see cans and bottles all over the ground. I never pick them up though (I'd love to be the type of person who does though). I pick up litter that is on the pavement outside my house though.

Does anyone pick up rubbish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Enii wrote:
    When I am out walking i always see cans and bottles all over the ground. I never pick them up though (I'd love to be the type of person who does though). I pick up litter that is on the pavement outside my house though.

Does anyone pick up rubbish?

no i don't and have never seen anyone else (except CC workers)

the only time i might is if i think its money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I've never done it either, cause if you started whn would you stop? U'd be at it all day long.

I have tho stopped people who have thrown litter and shamed them into picking it back up. much more gratifing;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Keeks wrote:
    I've never done it either, cause if you started whn would you stop? U'd be at it all day long.

I have tho stopped people who have thrown litter and shamed them into picking it back up. much more gratifing;)

until you say it to some **** who pulls a knife on you

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I'd do it outside my house, or if I thought it was a hazard, glass bottles on the road or path stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I've never picked up litter on the street either - like Keeks said, you'd be at it for ever. Also, i'd want to be wearing gloves before i touched rubbish that had been hanging around on the street. Maybe i would if i had one of those pointy stick things to pick it up, or probably i'd end up being arrested for attacking a litter bug with said pointy stick.

I do pick it up if it's outside my house, collecting on the steps there. I guess, like most people, i care more about 'my' space - also i can wash my hands straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

I have tho stopped people who have thrown litter and shamed them into picking it back up. much more gratifing;

Smiled at this one, When I see a child throw rubbish on the ground I usually pick it up, hand it to the adult in charge of the kid & say " I think this belongs to your child, s/he dropped it" Adult usually looks suitably guiltly & looks for nearest litter bin, while I walk away grinning.

Original post reminds me, When I was a kid, My Mam made us pick up sticks or bits of coal etc, (we were poor) while walking home from the shops to chuck on the (real) fire, She told us we were helping the Earth, (Wise Lady)
    Now I realise (obviously) that we can't just burn stuff (haven't got a Real fire)
    I appreceiate what my Mam was doing, and now recycle wherever possible. My little niece (2) wuoldn't dream of throwing anything on the ground, she thinks it's the outdoor carpet & must keep it tidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I have done it before when it bothered me but at the end of the day if you did it all the time you would do nothing else.

I do tend to abuse people who throw rubbish on the ground and they generally pick it up and put it in the nearby ( that's the bit that defeats me) bin.
    I tend to keep stuff in my pockets if there is no bin nearby, but then I dont tend to eat walking about these days so it is not so relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Keeks wrote:
    Someone did that to me. I gave them such abuse :D . I ended by taking stuff out of my pockets and throwing it in front of them. (The irony is that I normally would put stuff in bins)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Someone did that to me. I gave them such abuse :D . I ended by taking stuff out of my pockets and throwing it in front of them. (The irony is that I normally would put stuff in bins)

Nice one, and now you feel the need to boast, good man/woman/idiot.(delete as appropriate)

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Nice one, and now you feel the need to boast, good man/woman/idiot.(delete as appropriate)

Good man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

If its something obvious like a newspaper or a crisp wrapper ill scoop it up and dump it... small things i have to admit i ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I do if I can see a bin and it's not wet waste. It's a small thing to do and if everyone did it, the place would be spotless.

...unfortunatly the world contains incrediable people like Firespinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Whatever about the streets, I generally do pick up rubbish on otherwise-clean forest paths and the like and always on ski-pistes (even if it means wasting a cracking run to brake and walk back for it).

I nearly ran over a can last week....couldn't believe how someone could be so ignorant to dump a can in the middle of a piste.

jc

Zulu wrote:
    the world contains incrediable people like Firespinner.

Thank you I try....
    I was just pointing out that he was being nosy which caused me to litter more than normal.

Thank you I try....
    I was just pointing out that he was being nosy which caused me to litter more than normal.
    Well perhaps you should stop trying then. Are you aware how pathetic that sounds? As a matter of interest, how old are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I don't pick up other people's litter - why should I have to pick up what other morons have dropped because they can't be bothered sticking it in their pockets of walking over to a bin......if some people here have no pride in their country and how clean it is, then that is a real shame....if I see someone dropping litter, I don't say anything to them but I do say to my son, "look at the dirty man/woman dropping litter"......:)

Zulu wrote:
    Well perhaps you should stop trying then. Are you aware how pathetic that sounds? As a matter of interest, how old are you?

If you must know I am a young legal adult.
    Its not pathetic. He gave out to me over something that was none of his business. Its like old ladies who give out to you for not letting them in first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Its not pathetic. He gave out to me over something that was none of his business. Its like old ladies who give out to you for not letting them in first.

If you drop litter other people have to look at it & it looks awful - that makes it their business.....not opening doors for people is just plain ignorant....would you not like to instill manners and social awareness in your kids by example?

If you drop litter other people have to look at it & it looks awful - that makes it their business.....not opening doors for people is just plain ignorant....would you not like to instill manners and social awareness in your kids by example?

This old one tryed to but passed me when I was halfway through the door. She was rude. I'm probably am one of the few people who still stand up for old people on buses. tbh it was more his snotty condensending tone that got me going.

Act like one so, not a spoilt twelve year old.
    Its not pathetic.
    Evidently you don't think so, but I'd wager any mature person would agree with me.
    He gave out to me over something that was none of his business.
    Firstly, it is his business. Secondly, and this is whats pathetic, you had a choice: you could have ignored him and walked on, you could have picked up the litter and apologise, but instead you threw a hissy fit, (not unlike a child) abused him, and threw more litter. Sad tbh.

...but I'm sure all the girls were dead impressed at how you dealt with him - not taking any of his sh1t or nothing. Well hard.

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote:
    Act like one so, not a spoilt twelve year old..

It is not spoilt to tell an annoying person to shove it.
    Zulu wrote:
    Evidently you don't think so, but I'd wager any mature person would agree with me. .

Thats an assumption
    Zulu wrote:
    Firstly, it is his business. Secondly, and this is whats pathetic, you had a choice: you could have ignored him and walked on, you could have picked up the litter and apologise, but instead you threw a hissy fit, (not unlike a child) abused him, and threw more litter. Sad tbh. .

Its not his business. He was in front of me so I couldn't walk off and picking it up would have been validating the little pipsqueak. I did not throw a hissy fit, I just explained to him why people like him should take a running jump into the Liffey. There was nothing childish about it.
    Zulu wrote:
    ...but I'm sure all the girls were dead impressed at how you dealt with him - not taking any of his sh1t or nothing. Well hard.

I didn't do it to be hard I did it because he was an arrogant, pretentious little ****. Oh and he was trying to impress the girl, not me.

It is not spoilt to tell an annoying person to shove it.
    Perhaps, but throwing more rubbish soly because he told you to pick it up is.
    Thats an assumption
    No. Its a wager.
    Its not his business.
    It is. You were in a public place.
    There was nothing childish about it.
    Sure.
    ...he was an arrogant, pretentious little ****.
    Who was arrogant?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Its not his business.
    Last time I checked, littering in a public place is technically in breach of the law. This means it is most certainly his business.
    and picking it up would have been validating the little pipsqueak.
    The "little pipsqueak" didn't need validating. You were already in the wrong, and he is perfectly within his rights to ask you to rectify the situation. That you felt this was justification to make your transgression even worse only reflects badly on yourself.
    I did not throw a hissy fit, I just explained to him why people like him should take a running jump into the Liffey.
    Hold on a sec. did you or did you not - as you claimed earlier - litter even more as a result of this person asking you to pick up your initial litter?

If you didn't, then clearly you're spinning a changing tale, presumably to wind people up.
    If you did, then you're being intellectually dishonest describing this action as an "explanation" as to why he should jump into the Liffey.
    There was nothing childish about it.
    Could you explain exactly what is adult about refusing to admit you've done wrong, instead preferring to compound that wrong because you've taken a dislike to the person who has brought you to task and/or the manner in which they have done it?

Personally, I'm at a loss to see anything mature about such an action. You are, of course, entitled to believe that you've acted like a responsible adult, but I'd put it to you that in this regard its the opinion of other adults which will matter.....and I'd suggest you'll find but a small minority backing you.

Its not unlike the smoker who thinks its proper order to blow smoke in the face of someone who asks them to put out their fag in a non-smoking area. They probably think they're only doing what is right and proper to jumped-up busybodies who can't mind their own business too.

jc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ohh hard man eh?
    I'd laugh if a Garda fined you for littering...oh how I would have laughed...here's hoping for the future ;)
    :v:

Advertisement