Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin fireman sues employer over 'hearing loss from sirens'

Options
  • 28-01-2006 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

No, it's not a joke. Taken from the Independent today:

"A FIREMAN who is suing his employer for loss of hearing told a court yesterday how his quality of life has deteriorated.

Danny Conroy, who has been a fireman for 25 years, told the High Court how a doctor confirmed six years ago that he had suffered hearing loss.

He can't hear the telephone when it rings at home and he has to sit close to the television and needs the sound turned up."

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1551198&issue_id=13610
    (subscription required, but I will post the rest of the story if you want).

After the army deafness claims, it seems we have a new avenue of exploration in a similar vein.

Is Ireland turning into a litigious society or are we there already?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Took him six years to bring the case to court? Ireland wasn't quite so litigious back then I guess he didn't think he'd have a case.

Pathetic. Next all office workers will sue their employers for RSI!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eth0_ wrote:
    Pathetic. Next all office workers will sue their employers for RSI!
    Actually there have been succesful cases of this on the continent, where it was proven that the employer was negligent in providing proper seating, office furniture etc. I know of at least two people whose lives have been ruined by this, so it's actually not a joking matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i was sorta thinking not particularily in deafness but other injuries that hospital care is so expensive that people have to sue cos they can't afford to do anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Should have bought earplugs, I use them constantly just for walking around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Your job is supposed to supply them.

Previous job I was in they routinely had sensors in to check the sound levels. Anyone who wasn't wearing headphones on the floor got into trouble.

So it is up to the job to check for this.

... Oh and you can sue for RSI if you can prove your company was neglegent in ensuring your health and safety. Didn't H&S rules change recently in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

eth0_ wrote:
    Next all office workers will sue their employers for RSI!
    Interesting... I find your ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I find it perfectly reasonable that someone might sue their employer if they failed to provide adequate protection for them whilst working for them. No one should have to suffer any sort of infirmity due to their working conditions.
    And though you may scoff at RSI, with the increased use of computers and the time we spend at them, employers should (and are required) to provide a proper ergonomic working environment.

Although people do have a certain responsibility to remove themselves from such working conditions if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

boardy wrote:
    Danny Conroy, who has been a fireman for 25 years, told the High Court how a doctor confirmed six years ago that he had suffered hearing loss.
    So, even though he knew his hearing was getting bad due to his job, he continued to work there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

Hobbes wrote:

Previous job I was in they routinely had sensors in to check the sound levels. Anyone who wasn't wearing headphones on the floor got into trouble.

And that's the way it should be.

A bit of common sense does not hurt either. If you are in a noisy environment, buy a set of earplugs (if they are not supplied). Don't wait until there's blood coming out of your ears to do it.

The underlying theme of my original post though is the abuse of the legal process by people going after easy money using frivolous lawsuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

forget winning the lotto, i'd love to be a fireman who was ex-army. Guaranteed fortune.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Gordon wrote:
    Should have bought earplugs, I use them constantly just for walking around town.
    Can a fireman operate properly with earplugs in? Do they not have to communicate with fellow fireman, talk on the radio, plan strategy etc?

This is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can a fireman operate properly with earplugs in? Do they not have to communicate with fellow fireman, talk on the radio, plan strategy etc?

This is ridiculous.
    With a siren blaring in their ears? I doubt it. When they get to the scene, and they're in the building, I'd say the noise wouldn't be as loud, as they wouldn't be sitting right next to the siren.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement