Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Query.

Options
  • 26-01-2006 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

Around Dublin what is the average price of a routine filling ?

I understand that the PRSI guys make a contribution towards dental work if youhave been paying the right level of contributions. Any idea what they pay.

Without naming names or advertising it would be good to know what people are paying for dental work and if we are all paying the same (I doubt it !!) ? :D

A pal of mine got a filling done two weeks ago and it cost around Euro 120 for one of those white type of fillings.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'm not sure of the exact ins and outs of it but i think if you've been in permanant employment for more that a year(it could be more)you're entitled to subsidised treatment.I paid 32 euro for two fillings and you get a scale and polish every six months for free as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Right, this is a very common question. All fillings are not the same hence people say I got a filling for 32 euro so the person who just paid 120 euro thinks "gee I got ripped off" not so....

Each tooth has a number of surfaces - biting surface (occlusal), the side facing your cheek or lips (buccal) the side facing you tongue or palate (lingual or palatal) and where it meets the tooth in front or behind (mesial and Distal respectively).

The price of a filling depends on two things.
    1. The material used. Silver Amalgam is generally cheaper than white composite fillings. Personally I prefer the amalgam when it cannot be seen when smiling cause it last longer and is stronger especially in really big fillings. It is however the patients personal choice. Some fillings use laboratory made gold, ceramic or zirconia however these aren't really fillings and cost a lot more so I will not discuss them here.
    2. The number of surfaces. A simple filling on the biting surface of your teeth (occlusal filling) is the smallest filling you can get (can be deep though!) and usually the cheapest and quickest. Fillings that go down between the teeth require time consuming methods to shape the space between your teeth so food will not get stuck. These are more expensive still. Front teeth are usually in white filling material and require time consuming polishing and shaping so as to look good.

So for example (off the top of my head) a silver occlusal filling may cost 70 euro, a mesial occlusal distal filling could cost 110 euro or more, A Hugh filling with pins or bonding may cost 200 euro. A white filling at the front of your mouth could cost 160 euro also it depends on the time required to place it and the quality of the job. (these figures are just for comparison and totally made up by me).

So when comparing prices make sure you are comparing like with like. As for PRSI contributions see here for details
    http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw24.html
    So if you need a 100 euro filling and the PRSI pay the dentist 32 euro...you pay the dentist the difference of 68 euro. Checkups and cleaning are free if I can remember.

Advertisement