Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a stolen domain from name.net - anyone done it

Options
  • 26-01-2006 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

I managed to not re-register a domain in time (the whois details were out of date, I wasn't getting the mails :o), and one of these bloodsucking ***** has registered it.

name.net have offered to "mediate" the sale and send my offers onto the owner of the domain. To buy direct from the owner will cost me $200 (for a .com), but name.net says it will accept bids starting at $90 for the domain (even though name.net is the registered owner).

I'm going to take the hit on this. But I need to know if I'm going to be screwed over a barrel by giving these guys money before the domain is transferred....

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

This is the second case of name.com being involved in something like this that I have heard in as many weeks. Whats the domain? Are you sure that name.com themselves aren't squatting, as this was the case in the other occurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

name.net. name.com seem to be a different company entirely.

Yes, name.net are the squatters - that's their business. If you look at the site, all they do is sell domains that they're squatting in....

It's a money-making scam of the lowest kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I went ahead with it. In fairness to the company, I placed a "bid" and they "accepted" the bid, and I had control of the domain, all in about an hour. It's all automated, despite their terms and explanations saying "we will review", and "we will let you know", etc.

They set the TTL of their DNS records at 300s too so that once I'd added my own info, the site was back up ~5 minutes later.

Still never paying €80 for a .com domain again though. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭jmcc

seamus wrote:
    Still never paying €80 for a .com domain again though. Bastards.
    Now you know how .ie domain owners have been feeling for years until recently. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Heh, yeah .. happy in the comfort that this wouldn't happen them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement