Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Nose Pit Bull bitch for breeding ???

Options
  • 25-01-2006 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

A Chairde,

Anyone know where / have a red nose pitbull bitch that needs a dog for breeding purposes ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dhaliwal

hello there i am after a red nose puppy, if you do ever breed please let me know as i will be definately interested. or if you know of any where they do sell red nose pitbulls.
    thanks Dhaliwal
    your help will be very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What exactly is a red nose PB ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

peasant wrote:
    What exactly is a red nose PB ?

Yeah what is it? Please don't say a pitbull with a red nose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is just a pit bull with a red nose - they can have red, blue or black - same as colour this is just down to genetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

your best bet is to get in touch with the ikc, they will help you with all the advice you need, just make sure you know what you are getting into. when a dog gets his wicked way with a bitch they can become very whiney... like most men! obviously make sure you do the checks into the bitches background and dont just go for the first one that comes along. make sure the owner of the bitch knows what they are doing before you let your dog breed, obviously i have to throw in a, why are you doing this there is enough dogs out there without breeding more, but that is no use. you are still gonna breed. i'm not posting this here to say yes this is the be all and end all of info on breeding but just have a flick through and see........ again plese dont over breed your dogs!!!!!

http://www.learntobreed.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

The APBT is not a registered breed in this country (and in most other European countries). The so called Old Family Rednose Pit is a game bred dog and it makes me sick to see that people want to breed more of these dogs when the pounds are full of them. I deal with the aftermath of *I want one of them* every day, week in week out, and these dogs are incredibly hard to home. No other rescue takes them in. I am the only muppet who can't see them sitting on death row. So think twice or best three times before you want something you can't handle.

Egar

It might help to spell out what "game bred" actually means in this context

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

peasant wrote:
    Egar

It might help to spell out what "game bred" actually means in this context

Not a chess playing dog then?

An APBT being *game* means it was bred solely for fighting and wont shy away from a fight (in dogfighter language: it is up to *scratch*). Some Pits have ROM (Register of Merit) in their paperwork which actually means their success in pit fights (point system).

In other words ...

there would be a fairly strong whiff of illegality about somebody wanting to breed that specific kind of pitbull and also a big questionmark about somebody looking for such a puppy :D:D:D

and @ jules
    still all for giving "advice" to people ??
    These people as well?
    SCNR:D

• Advertisement

oh... so is it illegal to breed certain dogs?

Celt, are you breeding to fight the dogs? That is really illegal thank god.

What do you mean peasant with the advice comment there?

I must be really slow today, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

peasant wrote:
    In other words ...

there would be a fairly strong whiff of illegality about somebody wanting to breed that specific kind of pitbull and also a big questionmark about somebody looking for such a puppy :D:D:D

and @ jules
    still all for giving "advice" to people ??
    These people as well?
    SCNR:D

so sorry p not in the humour for you today so kindly jump up my ass!

lightening wrote:
    oh... so is it illegal to breed certain dogs?

Celt, are you breeding to fight the dogs? That is really illegal thank god.

What do you mean peasant with the advice comment there?

I must be really slow today, sorry.

No , it is not illegal to breed certain dogs.
    But a sane person wouldn't want to breed a "game bred" pitbull variety for a pet, or would they?

And before anyone jumps down my throat ...I'm fully aware that pitbulls can be perfect dogs, especially around people ...provided that they are kept by the right kind of people.

But with the OP and the follow-on post (one of them lacking any additional information and the other one a first ever post) somehow I can't fight off the impression that we may not be dealing wiht the "right kind" of people here.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid:D

On the advice comment ...sorry, shouldn't have said that really ...belonged to a different thread

Some people are just in to them, they "look cool" so people want them.

Pain in the ass though, you can never let them off the lead.

It is not illegal to breed them but the motive behind breeding APBT when it is very hard anyway to find responsible and knowledgeable people for them is what worries me.

APBT belong to the restricted breeds in this country:

**the Control of Dogs (Restriction of Certain Dogs) Regulation, S.I. No. 123 of 1991 requires that in order to keep the following types of dogs

Bandogs, American Pit Bull Terriers, Bulldogs, Bull Mastiffs, Doberman Pinschers, English Bull Terriers, German Shepherd (Alsatians), Japanese Akitas, Japanese Tosas, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweilers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers including any other strain or cross or every breed or type of dog so described - as specified in Regulation 4,

It is necessary to have these dogs controlled by a sufficiently strong chain or leash not more than one metre in length and by a person over the age of 16 years of age who is capable of controlling the dog, Regulation 5.

Further these dogs must be muzzled while in a public place, Regulation 6.

These dogs must also have collars which identify the dog and give an address**

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

Dropped off the thread recently, did,nt think it would got this busy.

I have no intention of breeding fighting dogs, if I did , do you think I would post on an open forum ??

The red nose is the original of the breed, and is originally an Irish breed, other dogs were bred for show.

Am fully aware of the problems associated with ownership of such dogs, but these dogs would be going to good homes.

Your kidding me, the Pit Bull Terrier is an Irish breed, like the Wheaton and the Kerry???

Yeah,

The red nose was brought to America by Irish Emigrants , who saw dog fights , and thought the money they could get by bringin, their own dogs over ....

I am sorry but now I have to laugh ;). The original fighting dogs which were brought to the States by Irish AND English imigrants were not Pit Bulls, they were the prototype called Bull and Terrier. They came in many shapes and colours. The rednose was and still is a game bred strain although the Old Family Rednose strain is said to be extinct and I have yet to see one ;) and I have seen many. The show strain of the APBT is the American Stafford and to this days each APBT is dually registered as both an APBT and an AmStaff by the AKC.

APBT have usually very big litters and genetically are very hard to determine whether or not the bitch matches the dog as there are no pedigrees available in Ireland. To cross a Rednose with a Rednose doesn't automatically mean that the pups will be RN as well. What are you going to do with a litter of ten APBT? It's hard enough to find a RESPONSIBLE home for one. Alot of people want Saturday afternoon strutting dogs ;).

To date, Ireland is one of few European countries where APBT's are not banned, ONE accident can change all that. Alot of people haven't got a clue what they are in for when they buy an APBT. It's not a breed for everyone and alot of people can't handle them at all.

Thought so. The Pit Bull breeds are very American looking with a hint of English. Deifinately not an Irish breed. They may have a bit of Irish Terrier blood in them, but they look like an American developed dog.

• Advertisement

Egar,

Ya learn sometin, new every day.

No problem, Celtic. If you want an APBT go the pounds, they are full of them :(. But please don't breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

EGAR wrote:
    To date, Ireland is one of few European countries where APBT's are not banned

Breeding of PB not allowed in The Netherlands. They must be on the lead at all times and wear a muzzle.

Yes, the same in Germany, France etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

EGAR wrote:
    To date, Ireland is one of few European countries where APBT's are not banned, ONE accident can change all that. Alot of people haven't got a clue what they are in for when they buy an APBT. It's not a breed for everyone and alot of people can't handle them at all.

From my experience working with dog owners and in an animal clinic: The majority of people are afraid of dogs that Egar usually deals with. They are often met with fear and hatred which is not fair on the animal at all.

Exposing a dog to that amount of negativity doesn´t make for a happy life outside peoples houses/flats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eddyb437

well boy i have bitch full red nose i might be intrested could you send me pic your dog thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

eddyb437 wrote: »
    well boy i have bitch full red nose i might be intrested could you send me pic your dog thanks
    Dunno if you noticed the thread is nearly 3 years old....?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dunno if you noticed the thread is nearly 3 years old....?

Time to lock it so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement