Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking HTML coding into a new custom html file

Options
  • 25-01-2006 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi all... (I'm not sure if this is the right section for this post)

First of all, I'm no HTML guru and only know basic coding.

My question is, I use Belarc Advisor which does an audit on a PC and creates a .bci file (associated to the program). When double clicked, a web browser opens with the results of the audit.

Problem is, there is too much information and I wish to 'pluck' the sections I want and re-output them to a new html file.

Any ideas on how I would do this? Scripting maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

From your description I am assuming that a .bci file is simply a html file.

My scripting language preference is perl. It is great for text processing.
    sed or awk might be alternatives (perl was inspired by both). What languages are you skilled in?

If Belarc Advisor lets you select the amount of info output you might be able to minimise the amount of data the script has to go through.
    Does it allow you to save the output file as text?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Thanks for the reply...

First off, I have no experience in any programming or coding languages, except for very basic html which I learned off a website.

Now, Belarc Advisor outputs a set amount of information and as far as I know, this is not changeable. (i'm sure if you knew what you were doing, it could be customised). Anyway, after the PC is scanned - all hardware and software installed - a webpage is opened **automatically** displaying the information.

If you go into the program files folder for belarc advisor, you will see a .bci file. As i said in previous post, when dbl clicked, the same web page opens.

"Does it allow you to save the output file as text?" If you mean if Belarc advisor allows you, it doesn't! Its all automatic and opens the webpage.

I have saved the webpage as a txt file, but when I open notepad, it's all over place with no formatting as in headings and titles all together with the specific info.

I have included a screenshot of the webpage, but you may get a better idea of what goes on if you install http://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisor.exe for yourself.

For now I am copying&pasting into Word, but I lose some of the text and layout formatting. It's not as easy to read as the webpage is.

I'll read up on perl for the mo.

thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

When you have your report in the browser, save the file as HTML, (Web Page , Complere or Web Page, HTML only). Note where you've saved the file. Now open Word, and open the saved HTML in Word.

You now have a document that contains the entire report from before. You can edit it like any other Word doc, but when you save it, remember to save it as a Word Doc file, otherwise it'll save it as HTML again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Look in the address bar of your browser, that's the file. In my case it's...

file:///D:/Program%20Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/tmp/(Tedcrilly).html

...which equates to...

D:/Program Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/tmp/(Tedcrilly).html

Now download and install Mozilla and open the file in Composer (or Editor, or whatever it's called these days).

Don't mind Word, it's a heap of sh1t when it comes to HTML editing.

adam

Advertisement